Start Bike Withou R/r?

Want to try to start my newly acquired '95 vfr which has a fried r/r and has been sitting for a couple of years. Should I be able to start it w/ a fully charged battery even though the r/r is toast?

I plan on emptying the fuel tank (any tricks?) and float bowls, adding fresh fuel and giving it a go. What do you think?

Also, any consensus on which r/r to buy? Seems to be lots of theories, different approaches, etc. I feel like I could spend a few hours reading all the posts on this topic, and still not have a clear plan of action. BTW I'm an electrical noob. Thanks!

Starting without r/r is no problem, disconnect the toasted one and start with charged battery.

Remove the carbs and clean them with carburettor or brake cleaner. Do not forget to check the jets. Do not interchange parts between the different carburettors. Put fresh fuel in the tank and start the engine. And put new oil in the engine.

Try to find a mosfet regulator. A mosfet is much better. It won't get toasted as quick as a o.e.m. r/r.

Try something like this one: http://www.rmstator.com/en/mosfet-regulators-1/mosfet-regulator-rectifier-rm30504h

Archived