Rear Brake Hanging Up?

fdbgt

• Member Contributer

About two weeks ago, I purchased a 2010 with about 3900 miles.

I haven't been able to ride it much but this morning on the way into the office, the bike started slowing from about 45MPH with no warning. I pulled in the clutch and it slowed even more dramatically. I shifted down a gear and let the clutch back out to ensure I wasn't lugging the engine and sure enough, the engine began to work harder as the bike slowed further. I disengaged the clutch and headed for a turn lane and the bike came to a quick stop on its own, without me applying the brakes at all. After sitting for a couple of minutes, the rear brake had released and I was able to turn around and start back to the house (about 7 miles away). I got about 5 miles towards the house, and it did the same thing.

Anyone have this happen to them or have any idea what might have caused this?

• Member Contributer

I haven't checked that but I will....though it was cool this morning and I had only ridden 7 miles.

I called the local Honda dealer and they have never heard of such but recommended that I bring it in and have them flush out all of the hydraulics to the tune of $185.

• 1 year later...

I had the same problem, turned out to be the rear master cylinder was corroded and jamming. I'd post a picture of the master cylinder to show how it looked when pulled apart, but I can't get it off my phone.

Archived