Help! Water In The Engine....

86VF1000R

Hello Folks,

I have a parts bike for a vf1000r project that was recently rained on (cover blew off) and some water got in the intake- I'm trying to figure out the best way to get the water out asap. Still not sure the best way to get the engine out of the frame- couldn't get the forks off, steering stem is flared from someone hammering on it, wheel won't come from a stripped and rusted quick release bolt. I'm about ready to just lay it on it's side. Will the heads come off in the frame? How does one turn these engine over by hand? Quite new to these bikes. Please help save this engine!

• Member Contributer

I'll make some assumptions - carbs were off, but the valve covers on. remove as much water as you can, pull the plugs and if you have a battery crank it over. If not you can crank the motor by the rear wheel, or front sprocket with the bike in gear (and plugs out). Then drop the engine oil to make sure its clean. you can remove the side covers to see if you have water in the case, how much rain are we talking about? You can get the engine out by removing the down tube all the engine bolts on the frame and setting the bike on its side. I would wait to see how the water removal works...

good luck!

Do all of the above plus pour some more oil in the spark plug holes and spin it over. If you caught it soon enough, I doubt there will be any damage.

GL

Jeff

• Member Contributer

you have an 86 vf1000r

i bought one that was UNDERWATER for a week!!

i cleaned the carbs.

changed the plugs and oil and coolant and gas.... and put another 15,000 miles on it before i sold it

i couldnt kill mine with rolling burnouts and wheelies and 3 crashes.. i am damned sure a sprinkle wont matter much.

you have an 86 vf1000r

i bought one that was UNDERWATER for a week!!

i cleaned the carbs.

changed the plugs and oil and coolant and gas.... and put another 15,000 miles on it before i sold it

i couldnt kill mine with rolling burnouts and wheelies and 3 crashes.. i am damned sure a sprinkle wont matter much.

Well... That is somewhat comforting? I will turn it by hand (just an engine in frame at this point) drain the oil and pour some more back through from the top.

Check the side covers as well. It was a pretty heavy storm, so I would like to be sure it's all out. This is the parts bike that came along with a rain free bike- the cams look very clean on the spare engine so it's worth saving.

This was not how I imagined my first post!

Thanks Fellas-

Archived