To Keep Or To Sell?

Guest hedley326

Guest hedley326

Hi all. Had my 51 plate VTEC for a while. Fuel pump refused to prime yesterday. Stripped the fairing off (not a pleasant experience) tried the bridge earth trick on the blue connector. Still nothing. Looked at the amount of time I could spend checking relays and wires and connectors. And you know what? I sent it off to a garage. I've always enjoyed doing maintenance on cars and bikes. I can say I've never enjoyed working on the vfr. Any ideas on what else to go for?

• Member Contributer

How about a Ducati?

What else have you had to work on the VFR? Some electrical issues that are well known and many write-ups on, but other than that I don't know of anything that goes wrong on them that doesn't fall under basic maintenance.

If the VFR is difficult to work on, I can imagine you haven't had too many challenging bikes or cars to work on. Have you tried to take the plastic off of an ST1100? The VFR is incredibly straightforward to take the plastics off, and they don't come off as giant, unmanageable hunks.

Fair shout on that one. The vfr is only my second bike. My first was a TDM850. Had a coil go wrong on that one. But could still do maintenance a bit easier. To be fair I'm not going to sit here and pretend I'm a good mechanic. I'm a fireman. I just hate electrical work. I've change pads, front and rear. Bled front and rear fluids. Bled clutch. Done hid upgrades. And changed coolant and air filters. Basic stuff granted. I'm just having a moan. I know I've a good bike. It's just fairing and needing small hands annoys me. :-)

• Member Contributer

Yeah, small hands help when you're reaching into the middle of that running V4 engine to do a carb sync.

Don't blame ya for just sending it to a shop. Sometimes your time is more valuable than your money, assuming they don't screw your bike up in the end. Fuel pump not working isn't something I hear go wrong on the VFR.

Did you sell the Tenere? Did you like it, or was it not your style? We just got it in the states (again). It looks good, but the price doesn't make it super competitive with the competition.

You know what? I loved it. I was all about that style of motor cycling. I actually went to trade it in for a varradero. Again a good adventure tourer. But the guy never got the bike delivered. He had the vfr sitting there all shiny and red and he had the Honda panniers. Which I know are sought after. So I took it. The local bike garage seems to think it's a loose connection. I had to wiggle the bars for the fuel pump to prime. Had a jiggle of the wires and it stopped priming. He'll look at it, quote me then do the job on my giving the go ahead. So I've nothing to lose. It's amazing how many bikers frown on taking a bike to a garage, but don't think twice about taking a car in ;-)

Archived