86 Vfr750 Vs 07 Vfr800

thor294

• 2 months later...

X post from the 6th gen forum (I just want as much input as I can get to help me make a decision :P)

I just put 2 new tires on my 86, and a friend of mine with a RWB 2007 just messaged me again asking me if I still wanted it (he ran it by me September last year... 3k miles on the 07 and he wants literally nothing for it...).

I know I will regret either decision I make.

In a perfect world, I would keep my '86, and buy the 2007. Let my father ride the 86 or just keep it to have it... but I am only a contractor at my job, still living at home, need to pay health insurance, and I don't think I could take a loan out to buy the 800 without getting some money (or my GF murdering me) from my dad for the 86 or selling it (I did put it in the classifieds on this site and other sites to see what I could get for it).

If I end up with the 2007 VFR800, are the real big upgrades a commander, intake(or just filter), slip ons, and sprockets (if i wanted)? will it make more power and get better MPG than my vfr750 (I average 35mpg on my bike, on a calm riding tank)...

I rode the 800 and what a difference. The digital gauges, the radial tires, bigger brakes... it is truely a different machine. I didn't really get to ride it hard because I was nervous of riding his bike. I am not sure if I will just regret ditching my 86 :(

Sorry for the long double post... I have never been so attached to a machine before in my life lol

621943_10151207247698072_671926717_o.jpg

i actually like the old one better-- i had that exact same rwb 2007-- the vtech i did not like- it has a off idle stumble at times with the fi- and seemed to really hate hot weather-- it was very cool but i was disappionted- i ever plop down money on another expensive new bike i will demand a test ride or no deal-- to me the older vfiffers just have more character-- and definatley stand out in a croud-- as they say if its not broke don't fix it--

The pair looks nice together. I wonder if anyone has painted their fourth-gen in the rwb colors. Didn't see anything online like that.

'86-87 750 will probably be my next project once the VF1000R is done. But a nice fourth-gen would be good too, the prettiest of all the VFR's IMO.

• 7 months later...

I read the article in the bookshop while the Mrs was clothes shopping. Would have bought it but the magazine was like $16 on this side of the globe!!

It is a good mag though, and regularly runs stories on the VFR. They have just done a four article set on the VFR800 (Gen 8) and compare it with the last 750, a Gen 4 I think. A couple of years ago they voted the VFR the best all rounder of the last few decades. I think I have a hard copy of that somewhere. The $16 gets your attention, so I am getting them electronic now. You get them much earlier and about $6 or so cheaper. Cycleworld is also available electronically and way cheap compared though quality of presentation not in same order.

Archived