Progressive Springs 4 My Vtec

Auspanglish

Can anyone recommend a manufacturer of aftermarket progressive springs that offer different spring rates... you see stuff on ebay but there's no mention of spring rate...

¿Why should I go with non-progressive springs as some people do?

Not sure if I could be bothered with swapping out valves... looks like too much hard work having to drill the things... on top of what they might cost, if you stuff it up your fugged.

I figure if I'm only upping the spring rate by a tad over the OEM ones the valves should be able to handle it... or is it the valves what's really up with the VTECs forks cause they really are lacking...??

I've had wilbers progressive springs fitted to my vtec. I thing they are a 0.9 to 1.0 weight. I had the rear shock replaced as well (wilbers 640). Both were sprung for my weight 102kg in gear and riding style.

On first riding the bike the brakes were a lot more powerful and the bike no longer bottoms out when hitting pot holes. The bike felt like it was brand new after the suspension upgrade and my cornering confidence has improved substantially.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I've had wilbers progressive springs fitted to my vtec. I thing they are a 0.9 to 1.0 weight. I had the rear shock replaced as well (wilbers 640). Both were sprung for my weight 102kg in gear and riding style. On first riding the bike the brakes were a lot more powerful and the bike no longer bottoms out when hitting pot holes. The bike felt like it was brand new after the suspension upgrade and my cornering confidence has improved substantially. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Excellent information thank you sir...

Did you purchase the springs on-line or in-situ??

Can you recommend a dealer to me?

Hi

I had the springs and shock fitted by the UK's Wilbers importer. I've also seen a German eBay seller offering wilbers rear shocks so they can probably do fork springs. I'm pretty sure wilbers will insist on knowing your weight and riding style add the time of the order being placed.

The guys who fitted my bits are probably a bit biased but they reckon the wilbers stuff is on a par with ohlins quality wise.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

• Member Contributer

I always switch to straight weight springs. The progressively wound springs are selected my the MFG because they are the best compromise for the range of riders who may ride and purchase the bike.

With progressive spring rates you can almost find a workable suspension set up out of the box.

Now that you know the weight and riding style of the owner, why not purchase the springs that support the weight of you and the bike and allow the valving to work as the suspension cycles through its range of travel?

Think about the preload on the springs, the force needed to install the fork cap with the preload adjuster backed out is taking up a good portion of the progressive springs travel right there. Now set the sag for your weight, and you have effectively lost the majority of the softer spring setting.

I do find it interesting that in his answer above Richie indicates that his progressive spring rates vary from .9 to 1.0, which is right in the ball park for a straight rate spring to support the weight of the VFR and rider.

Archived