Radiator Fan Upgrade Question.

Kel

• Member Contributer

Without exception, the original fans are the most antiquated part of my bike now. They look old and have cycled on and off for 100k+ miles over 28 years. They MUST be dog tired. I've seen some guys replacing their stock fans or complimenting the stock fan with a Spal made slim fan. I decided to try a pair to see if I notice any difference in cooling.

56e66363-72e5-4099-8ba6-fbf9e3534a38_zps

The plug is even the same on a 28 year old bike...who would have guessed?

bd9e7972-d41e-4745-a020-ae87c4d05359_zps

They are the 5.2" and measure out at 5.5" with the housing. They definitely pull a lot more air than the stockers but now I'm thinking that 2 are over kill. The stockers are housed in a metal shroud that is full of gaps and holes and it doesn't seat tight against the fins while the Spal's sit down tight with all available suction going to pulling air through the radiator. The difference is night and day in pulling power so my thought is...will one be enough?

If you look at a modern CBR radiator, the fan is tiny compared to the surface area of the radiator...like 1/5th to 1/6th of the surface?

ef8f2c9e-023d-470b-8dcd-af6b1fa7a23d_zps

Seems like a really strong fan covering 1/3rd to 1/4(counting the upper rad as well) would be fine...no?

0a51b98a-fa4a-4ba3-b83d-2f08b228d1ae_zps

I have 2 and can certainly mount both I'm just thinking why rob extra juice while in slow traffic when 1 will suffice. Thoughts?

Yeah, I like where this is going.

Clean up that rad, straighten any errant fins, and give it a coat of paint.

Try 1 fan, and if it isn't enough, you will soon know. You can always go back to the drawing board and install both of them.

• Member Contributer

Yeah, I like where this is going.

Clean up that rad, straighten any errant fins, and give it a coat of paint.

Try 1 fan, and if it isn't enough, you will soon know. You can always go back to the drawing board and install both of them.

That was my initial thought but making the support brackets is where I am now so I need to decide on 1 or 2.

Any ideas on how to test the stock fans amp draw?

These pull 4.5 max each, stock fan fuse is 10amp, safe or not?

Single fan is 313cfm or 626 for the pair. I just don't want to tax the charging system with 2 if it isn't needed, but if it's the same draw or less for 2'', I'll run 2.

Archived