Very Quick Suspension Question

Guest VF500FInterceptor

Guest VF500FInterceptor

Just wondering, when checking the air pressure in your forks/rear shock. Do you have to use a special gauge or just a normal tire gauge?

As always, thanks for the help!

Tyler

• Member Contributer

normal gauge, and dont forget to drain the water if they have been inflated since new... :goofy:

• Member Contributer

not possible, just a comment that air assisted suspensions were a bad idea.

Have you serviced the forks/changed the fork oil etc...?

Well not exactly fine. My buddy put more air in them and I thought I heard him say he matched the left front fork to the right and that was 60psi. and did the same with the rear. It rides really nice, but I just learned that it is WAY! over max psi. I don't want to blow anything so I need to confirm thats what he did and let some out if so.

• Member Contributer

it will cost you about $30 bucks in supplies (fork oil, cleaning solution) and you should replace your bushings and fork seals while in there...you can do it without tearing them down and replacing the seals/bushings by drainign the fork oil through the bottom bolt.

I forget if the bottom bolt on the VF500 is in the axle hole (like newer forks) or on the side near the bottom of the tube.

Regardless, you can drain the fluid there and then flush the forks with diesel or some other solvent to clean them, allow them time to dry and fill with the proper amount of fresh fork oil, relace the caps and call it day if you are strapped for cash.

Unfortunately that is $30bucks more than I have right now and a lot more time then I have right now. We are going to be moving soon, and I have to much going out right now. Sooo I will just keep riding the way I have.

You will blow out the seals everywhere running that pressure, get it down now!

Don't remember stock settings, but probably closer to 15 psi or similar? :unsure:

• Member Contributer

15 may be max pressure, I think 5-8 psi was normal but I was a lot younger then...hard to say

I called Edge performance, and he said 6 in the front and 20 in the rear.

Needless to say.. I am a little over! :sad: and it has been that way since sunday.

Archived