Lowering Pegs With Blocks - Help Please!

Guest CaptainChaos

Guest CaptainChaos

Hi,

new here so be gentle with me :)

Recently got a 1998 VFR800 - am loving it but as I'm 6'3" with size 12 feet Im not really feeling right and struggle to operate rear brake etc...anyway I saw the discussions on peg blocks and have ordered a set from Larry.

My question is, I've lowered the rear brake in readiness for the blocks arriving, as far as I can, but can see that really I need to shorten the bolt - can I do that in situ (just hacksaw it down?) or is it easy enough to remove the bolt to do it in the workshop.

any advice on this mod would be much appreciated fellas

steve

Guest CaptainChaos

thanks - yeah I saw that thread but it doesn't say how the bolt was shortened (on or off bike) - I'll maybe drop him a line

thanks again

CC

Him was me.

Wow, that was awhile ago, but I think I did it on the bike.

A dremel with a cutoff wheel might work. A hacksaw would be pretty tough to do in those close confines, and no real good way to hold the piece.

Guest CaptainChaos

ha ok! well the info and photos on your mod description are really useful and I will be using it when I do mine - and yeah hacksawing would be difficult but the dremel idea sounds good. thanks again.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest CaptainChaos

Him was me. Wow, that was awhile ago, but I think I did it on the bike.

A dremel with a cutoff wheel might work. A hacksaw would be pretty tough to do in those close confines, and no real good way to hold the piece.

Hi again - fitted the blocks but think I may have screwed up with the brake lever adjustment - and maybe the rear brake is dragging. I removed the locknut as per your photo but haven't been able to cut the bolt down yet and it is just touching the rear brake lever now - in other words I unscrewed it as far as it would go to drop the lever as much as possible. Is it possible that this could cause drag?

• Member Contributer

Him was me.

Wow, that was awhile ago, but I think I did it on the bike.

That's how I shortened mine - with a Dremel and a cutoff wheel. Loosen everything up for some clearance and then remove the turnbuckle from the bolt. I cut off the minimum amount necessary - maybe 1 to 1 1/2 threads in the event I ever want to remove the blocks and return it to stock. Work carefully - the cutoff wheel will want to jump off the bolt and put gouges in anything around it.

On the brakelight spring I had a very small (tiny - maybe 1/2" diameter) split ring like you have on your car keys and it made the perfect extension for the spring - just threaded it on to the brake lever and attached the spring.

Guest CaptainChaos

Thanks for the reply - it seems I need to do this last mod on the bolt ASAP as the rear brake has lost its freeplay and is slightly on all the time...not good!