Suspension Adjustment

crakerjac

I know that suspension on the VFR1200 has been discussed quite a bit, but I'm a bit of a suspension N00B. When I bought my last bike, the PO had the suspension set up for him and we were about the same size/weight, so I never touched it.

I'd like to start tinkering with it... But I'm not sure how/where to start. On the rear shock, I see the knob on the left hand side of the bike and I assume that is for the preload adjustment. Where is the rebound adjustment?

On the front forks, there is some screw adjustment on the top of each fork. Is that the preload adjustment for the forks? If so, where is the rebound adjustment?

Do you have the owners manual for the bike?

Rebound should be at the bottom of teh shock on one side as just a screw driver slot.

I'm not sure about the forks as I don't remember their set-up.

Search "SAG Setting" and start there.

BR

Thanks BR. I didn't think my VFR came with the manual... Apparently I was wrong (as usual) and my SO saved all my VFR paperwork for me.

Looked through the manual and I've got one more question. Do I need a special tool to adjust the spring preload on the front suspension? Or will a socket wrench work just fine?

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy SIII using Tapatalk 2

• Member Contributer

I know that suspension on the VFR1200 has been discussed quite a bit, but I'm a bit of a suspension N00B. When I bought my last bike, the PO had the suspension set up for him and we were about the same size/weight, so I never touched it.

I'd like to start tinkering with it... But I'm not sure how/where to start. On the rear shock, I see the knob on the left hand side of the bike and I assume that is for the preload adjustment. Where is the rebound adjustment?

On the front forks, there is some screw adjustment on the top of each fork. Is that the preload adjustment for the forks? If so, where is the rebound adjustment?

The front fork springs, are way too soft, so you won't be able to set the Sag on the front, [well not to what Ohlins say it should be] for the front spring preload adjustment, you need a 14mm socket, 2 x 360 deg = the gap between 2 rings, you need a screw driver for the rebound adjustment. The rear spring preload adjustment, is the knob on the left hand side, just turn to adjust, that's if it is not seized. Sag for the rear, you want to set at 10-12mm. [that's just the weight of the bike, not rider and bike]. Rear rebound adjustment, is the small screw on the bottom of the L/Hand side of the shock, i find 1/2 turn out from fully in, is the best for me.

Archived