5Th Gen Specific Helibar Installation Question

marriedman

Question

I have looked through the forums, and the only threads that had pictures appear to be the 6th gen guys. This may be a stupid question, but I'd rather look stupid before doing any work rather than after.

I recently got some Helibars and according to the instructions, the R & L are stamped on the bottom to make it easy for us to know which side goes where. And they are stamped:

post-25220-0-15600100-1362858100.jpg

However, when I hold it up to my existing clipon, it doesn't look right:

post-25220-0-20275900-1362858101.jpg

It is supposed to be R & L from the perspective of sitting on the bike, correct?

Second part of my post - The instructions say that I need to cut the alignment tabs on the master cylinders. Do I really have to do that? I am loathe to cut something and screw it up.

Thanks in advance guys.

2 answers to this question

yup, that is correct. that is part of the method to get the bars further back toward the rider.

trimming the tabs on the master cylinders is necessary, as they will interfere with the bars.

try re-mounting the master cylinders and you'll see what needs to be done.

It's really easy, I can take a pic of mine to show you, as mine are trimmed.

Thinking now, i believe trimming the tabs allows you to rotate the brake/clutch line so the line does not hit the bar.

If you "just" loosen the banjo bolt so you can almost BARELY rotate the banjo a few degrees, you can do it without bleeding the brakes/clutch, and then retighten the banjo bolts. But have towels at the ready.

Archived