Need help!!

Guest 1997vfr750

Guest 1997vfr750

I have had a check engine light come on several times on my vfr1200. I connected the wires for the dtc's to be shown and the engine light flashed 2 long, 1 short then 2 long and 2 short flashes. Can anyone give me any guidance as to what this may mean? The bike seems to run ok? This has got me very confused. Any help will be much appreciated!

I have had a check engine light come on several times on my vfr1200. I connected the wires for the dtc's to be shown and the engine light flashed 2 long, 1 short then 2 long and 2 short flashes. Can anyone give me any guidance as to what this may mean? The bike seems to run ok? This has got me very confused. Any help will be much appreciated!

I have the manual here and I don't know if I'm reading it correctly so this is my best guess. The codes might be 21-1 and 21-2 which say the shift spindle angle sensor is receiving either low or high voltage. There suggestions are loose or poor contact at the sensor,it's circuit malfunction or faulty PCM. Does your gear position indicator work? The book says it's a blue sensor, it looks to be located on top of the engine under the gas tank area. There is a trouble shooting procedure but it's about 3 or 4 pages long in the manual.

The MIL codes shown are 21 and 22. I will look the codes up in my manual. i will post the aswer later.

ps do you use a PC-V with lamda eliminators ?

Yes, I have a PCV with the eliminators attached. The gear position switch mentioned above does work. The bike doesn't seem to run any different when the light is on. I updated the firmware in my PCV tonight to the latest calibrations so maybe that will help. It said the update was for a dropped cylinder fix but, we will see. The light seems to come on more if I am running the bike real hard. Sometimes I get to feeling the "spirit" for lack of better terms when on my way home from work. This has been when the light has came on. Thanks for the quick replies.

I seem to remember having this problem after I installed th PC-V, but it was caused by the fact that I had not reconnected one of connectors. When I reconnected it I had to clear the code and I was good after that. Did this just happen after installing your PC-V?

No, I have had it installed for over a year. I bought this bike last August and installed the PCV the next week. It may just be that I was running the bike harder this past weekend than I probably ever have. There were quite a few bikes in the group and they were all sport bikes so we were definately pushing it quite a bit. I drove it to work and back today and ran it very hard coming home. It never showed the light at all. I think the firmware update may have cured this issue. Will keep everyone posted if the problem returns

Archived