Use of Tourmaster Controller w/ Gerbings Products

filterfool

• Member Contributer

I ordered a Tourmaster Synergy2.0 Vest w/ a dual rheostat controller. I also have a Gerbings full jacket liner and G3 gloves (older style w/o the micro-wires).

My thought was that I could control any two pieces of heated gear w/ the Tourmaster controller. The vest would be great for cool mornings and easy to stow as the day warmed up. The jacket liner is a lot bulkier but would be warmer on colder days.

But now I read on the Tourmaster site that their controller will only work on their gear and it will damage any other brand of gear when used with it.

I know that Motorcycle Consumer News did a review a few years ago w/ several name brands of heated gear. Their comment was that any controller would work w/ any garment. But, manufactures have changed their equipment over the years.

So my question is, what has been your experience mixing and matching controllers and heated gear?

Thanks for your help.

• Member Contributer

I'm not familiar with the Tourmaster product, but I'd be surprised if their heating elements were much different from everyone else's. Strange. Do they explain how the damage would occur? I have some Gerbings heated gear, and there's not much to it, electrically. I use Warm n' Safe Heat Trollers, which appear to be the industry's reference standard for temperature controllers (they've been copied often enough, LOL)...

Ciao,

More than likely they will work with each other, but:

1) They want to sell more of their product.

2) If something goes wrong with their product with a heat controller not of their brand they probably won't honor the warranty.

• Member Contributer

Well, it appears that the controller works with both the Gerbing liner and gloves. The Synergy vest heats up very nicely and is much less bulky than the full jacket Gerbing liner. With the weather cooling off here in NW Florida, I will soon get a chance to compare both products.

Archived