07 VFR Calipers on 02 VFR

Guest bravnik

Guest bravnik

Hey guys, I think I have the issue with my right caliper that has been reported a few times. There was a good deal on both calipers, pads with all hoses on EBay so I jumped to buy them before asking this question but I'm pretty sure it will work.

Question: Will the 07 Calipers mount up without issue to the 02? I think just one hose is short and will need to be replace but other than that I'm not 100% positive.

Also, will I need to bleed the entire system when doing this or can I just do the fronts? Again, I'm pretty sure I will need to bleed all but it does not hurt to ask. I have been fearing bleeding the brakes on the VFR as it seems quite complicated looking at the manual.

Any tips you pro's can provide would be greatly appreciated as well. FYI - My VFR has 60k miles on her mostly all highway. Thanks in advance.

• Member Contributer

I've tried using 02 non-ABS brake pads on an 06 ABS and they didn't fit.

May be due to differences bet. ABS and non-ABS...

Second best way to check is to pull up part numbers for both years.

You'll get a chance to try the best way soon enough :tongue:

FYI - The calipers work like a champ but you will need to replace one hose. Tools needed that are special is a 10mm Flare Nut Wrench, other than that it is standard tools. I HIGHLY recommened the old fashioned way of bleeding the brakes. Maybe a speed bleeder works well after you tefflon tape your bleed points or replce them with speed bleeders but to me thats a lot of work if all you need to do is the old fashioned pump till fluid comes out clean, hold and tighten. Sure you need two people for this but once you get the steps down, bleeding is really simple on this bike. However, you must remove the left caliper and rear caliper as noted in the manual or else your fronts will be good but you will never get the air out of the linked system.

Archived