Before/After black-out stainless exhaust

Yokel

• Member Contributer

Well, here's the product:

gallery_23869_6426_1837809.jpg

The idea behind plasti-dip is that it's a fairly tough and resilient coating that just simply peels off when it needs re-done or you're tired of it.

The Gen7 exhaust is fugly and not on my bike, so it's going to be the guinea pig for this experiment.

gallery_23869_6426_292604.jpg

Here's how they look shortly after a coat or two...

gallery_23869_6426_651777.jpg

gallery_23869_6426_149870.jpg

Obviously, the hammered finish isn't going to fly.... Surprisingly, it laid down pretty well considering the less-than-ideal conditions outside and that it was a rattle can.

gallery_23869_6426_979004.jpg

gallery_23869_6426_557124.jpg

Not totally happy with the end result, but with anything try, try again. I'm going to peel these next and post pictures of that process on matte and shiny stainless.

They're both due for a re-spray.

OBVIOUSLY I cannot make assurances for this stuff on a high-heat place on your bike, so don't assume it's okay. THESE WILL NOT BE SUBJECTED TO EXHAUST TEMPERATURES AS THEY ARE NOT USED ON THIS BIKE.

• Member Contributer

Just peeled the larger portion... comes off like sticky vinyl. All one piece. I can't hardly believe it.

The consistency is literally like vinyl. Stretchy, and frankly, the coating is tougher than I thought it would be.

• Member Contributer

Looks cool. Checked. out their website the last time I saw it mentioned. Did you buy it online or at a automotive store?

• Member Contributer

Actually got it at Home Depot. 1 can was 5.97.

Pretty cheap paint job. I'm guessing I used about 1/4 of the can on those two pieces with three coats.

Archived