HawkeOiler reinstallation.

FJ12Ryder

• Member Contributer

I had the bike down putting on Galfer stainless lines and new tapered bearings in the steering head. So while I was waiting for the bearings to come in I got the HawkeOiler working again. I rerouted the line and moved the actuation button, since the HawkeOiler is a manual oiler.

The button is on the left side of the tank, easy to reach:

OilerButton.jpg

I ran the line down to a double outlet that drips onto both sides of the chain:

RearEnd.jpg

Oiler.jpg

I like the oiler, but hadn't had it working for a while. Nice to have it up and running again. Using synthetic HD70-140 gear lube in it.

Do you get more miles out of the chain? I get about 20 - 25k out of a chain with nothing more than a spray of Honda chain lube every 500 or so (also a shot after a wet ride). I don't like cleaning up my black wheels, I can't imagine maintenance on the red ones - which look great with the CF chain guard and SS lines BTW :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the compliments. :smile:

I've never really noticed an improvement in chain mileage, but I'm not as religious as I should be about keeping the chain oiled up. The guy that developed this oiler is a Iron Butt competitor and he swears that if you use it correctly you can get 30-40,000 miles out of a chain. But I personally don't know.

I never did like the canned chain lubes because they caked up on the chain and then you had to clean the chain. The gear lube from the oiler doesn't build up on the chain and so the chain never needs to be cleaned. The wheels don't get as gooky as you might think and they're an easy clean because it's just oil and not sticky spray lube. Mainly I just thought the oiler was kind of cool and thought I'd use it. Also the chain guard/hugger doesn't get covered in grunge from the spray on lubes, just a bit of oil film that will wipe right off. :tour: I tried the spray wax once many years ago and it was awful, but I think the new formulations are a lot better. And I think some of the teflon sprays/drip on lubes work well too.

Just something different I guess. :rolleyes:

Archived