Battery drains while sitting

midias

My 1986 VFR750F has had an issue for a little while, the battery drains while it is turned off.

I looked into the factory manual and tried the leakage test

2012-08-06_06-58-15_497.jpg

I failed the test and had about 10V on the meter.

So I started the bike and checked the charging voltage. It was 12.2V at 5kRPM

I shut the bike down and unplugged the 4 pin connector on the RR.

2012-08-05_19-26-55_917.jpg

After unplugging this connector I rechecked leakage and it passed the test at 0V

I am guessing I need a new RR can anyone else confirm?

• Member Contributer

While it seems likely, regardless of whether it's causing the leakage, the R/R (or combo of R/R and stator) is failing the charging voltage output test which on its own warrants replacement.

Sure looks like you need a new RR- any chance you could borrow a known good one?

Not unless the one off my 82 magna would work

While it seems likely, regardless of whether it's causing the leakage, the R/R (or combo of R/R and stator) is failing the charging voltage output test which on its own warrants replacement.

Sounds good I will order the replacement.

The ricks regulator is the one to get right?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RICKS-VOLTAGE-REGULATOR-RECTIFIER-HONDA-VFR750-86-RICKS-/290750293042?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43b2116432&vxp=mtr

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I would let you guys know. I had a bad RR and a bad battery. I don't know if one caused the other. The battery lost charge sitting on the ground and even with a fresh battery the RR would not go over 12.3V. New battery and regulator 14.3V at 5k rpm and the battery does not drain.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

when you are checking for a battery drain... you hook up the meter in series like you did but put it on AMPS. you need to measure CURRENT that is running through the system. You are just measuring voltage, which is POTENTIAL energy, not ACTUAL ENERGY.

Why is it saying volts? lol That's bizzare to me. Whenever I check for a drain on cars its in series on amps... and there is a spec for amps. On an old bike I would assume it should be 0 amps

Archived