VFR 800 Vtec A Screen modifications

Guest bally123

Guest bally123

Being 6'2" I have found the wind noise and specifically the turbulence on the VFR most irritating. I tried the double bubble approach but this just made things worse (unless I laid on the tank!). I was not surprised to find this as experimenting with head height during a ride (standing on pegs) gave a much smoother airflow and reduced noise. So I decided to be a bit radical and cut the std screen I n all I took a healthy 3-4" from the top, styling the top edge took some time and I used insulating tape to develop a nice line. Having just got back form a road trip in France I can confirm a huge improvement. If I dip my head about 2" the noise returns, sat naturally on the bike the only noise is helmet generated and the turbulent roar is eliminated. Also other riders have not noticed the screen is cut, at least until I point it out.

Have a look:

post-23795-0-45848200-1343943888.jpg

post-23795-0-82773000-1343943889.jpg

If your taller than average and suffer similar noise issues then maybe you should have a shot, It worked for me..... :smile:

Bally

• Member Contributer

I am 6'4'', how did you know that cutting it down would work. Calif. scientific has done quite a bit of work in this area.

• Member Contributer

I'm 6' - 0" and considered doing the same thing for the same reason. I ended up buying a used MRA Vario before I put a bandsaw to my factory screen.

After some testing with 3 different shields, I flipped the MRA adjustable deflector upside down to funnel the air to my chest. It does the job, but cost about $100

more than your modification. Let us know the vertical, centerline dimension so people know where to start cutting. Nice work btw !

Archived