still love my '92

Well, I finally bit the bullet and added some new wheels to my stable. Picked up an 09 K1300S with all the bells and whistles this weekend and put 200+ fast miles on it. What an amazing bike it is. However I still love and will continue to ride my '92 that I purchased new 20 years ago at Golden Gate Cycle when they were still on VanNess.

Putting the new and old side by side I never realized how small the VFR is. The seat on the BMW seems to tower over the VFR. There's a guy I work with who has a '10 VFR 1200 with the automatic and it seems about the same size, maybe a little larger as my '92. Is the VFR just a more compact bike or is the BMW just huge?

BTW, though you might appreciate that they are both referred to as "Interceptor" :)

post-4108-0-45361300-1343637577.jpg

post-4108-0-49431800-1343637588.jpg

• Member Contributer

The VFR is a compact design, regardless of generation. I recently had someone ask about my "little" bike. I've never been frustrated by its size. I've not been in the hunt for a BMW precisely because of how it stretches everything out.

I know what you mean :smile:

Yikes!!! It looks like you could take the VFR in tow, but the question is, would you have to pull yourself over for speeding ;)

I know what you mean :smile:

Yikes!!! It looks like you could take the VFR in tow, but the question is, would you have to pull yourself over for speeding ;)

Yeah, the work bike is a bit of a truck. But look again - Paramedic, not Police. So no worries about stopping myself for speeding :smile:

The VFR feels tiny and almost toy-like riding home after a day on the BMfW. Even my GSX1400 feels small compared to the work bike. Of course there's the weight as well as the physical size to consider. The R1200 weighs 330kg (727lbs) in work trim with petrol.

What I find interesting is the way all three bikes have similar performance, but go about it in very different ways.

Archived