GP Shift on a VFR

jdubb

All,

I have recently started doing track days and am as addicted as everyone else (VIR Monday!). My only real issue is that my track bike is GP shift, which I actually really like. It's the switching between the two bikes and shift patterns that gets a little dangerous (don't ask me how I know...thank goodness for rev limiters :ohmy: ). I would like to convert the VFR to GP shift. I am wondering if it can be done without buying $400 rear sets. I searched online but could not find a clear answer.

Thanks!

- John

I think I've seen others mod CBR parts so that it uses the linkage from the CBR.

There was a thread on here about it, but I'm on my phone now, difficult to surf around. Someone will come up with a link though.

Just for the record, the rev limiter isn't saving you when you down shift while trying to make an upshift. The motor gets mechanically driven up past redline(depending on what shift RPM was) by the rear tire and jump in gearing. Only way to save that is to pull the clutch back in as fast as possible.

Anyway though, I'm pretty sure its either 929 or 900 rear sets that go on the easiest. I've been planning on a similar conversion for my bike.

Edited by NakedViffer

Hmm...I didn't think about the mechanical vs. electronic aspect of the rev limiter. I have yet to screw up a shift badly on my VFR...but I definitely have on my Ninja. Still runs fine!

• 3 weeks later...

I am using GP-shifting on my 3rd gen. It was accomplished by using gear linkage that is not pivoted around the footpeg but a bit forward. It was from an old CBR600F. I had to drill and tap a M8 mounting hole to the foopeg hanger and lengthen the shift rod. The linkage I used is steel so I could weld them myself. I don't know if there's enough material to drill and tap the footpeg hanger on other generations. Here's a pic of my setup:

It looks like it fouls on the side stand bolt but doesn't. It's very close though.

Edited by FinnRC36
  • Thanks 1