Cheaper alternative to GIVI top box

Rice

• Member Contributer

I know that many have purchased the el-cheapo JC Whitney top box for their bike and this is for those who, like myself, have SWMotech rear rack.

The top box itself has served me well for 2-3 years now, but the mounting plate it came with was a POS. It's made of thin sheetmetal and cracks over time. I almost lost my top case.

So, looking for a good mounting plate I have come across a post on the Versys forum about people using SWMotech adaptor plate for the Monokey top box.

Just got it in the mail and installed the top box.

The mounting plate is a top notch quality piece. The top box is on there rock solid and I cannot be heapier to have my top box back where it belongs instead of gathering dust in the garage.

This may not be a great revelation to others, but for some reason I've ha a hellofatime finding all the info on this solution.

One thing to note is that the smaller version of the JCW top box may not fit the same plate. This works for the largest JCW box (45L I think) which is what I have.

Here are some pictures and link for reference:

Adaptor plate on SWMotech rack:

d7a15320.jpg

Top box installed:

c91a516c.jpg

SW-MOTECH Alu-Rack Topcase Adapter Plate (GIVI / Kappa Monokey)

Looks great. I wish I had known about the JCW top cases. I could have saved myself $200+. How long have you had the SW-Motech rack? I just installed mine and I'm curious if you used Loctite on all the screws.

JohnB

• Member Contributer

I have this set up on my Triumph Sprint ST, it works really well, and when I remove the plate, the SW-Motech Alu rack almost looks as one with the bike. I have since picked up 2 more plates used on various forums for $25 each. They will be mounted on my Pacific Coast and VFR soon. It's really a convenient and secure design. I want to give a lot of thought to the mounting technique to insure that it looks clean when I remove the plate. Ride safe, Dave

• Member Contributer

Looks great. I wish I had known about the JCW top cases. I could have saved myself $200+. How long have you had the SW-Motech rack? I just installed mine and I'm curious if you used Loctite on all the screws.

JohnB

I've had the rack for... about 4-5 years now IIRC. There is no need for locktite - the bolts hold it very securely due to high torque on them and also b/c they are exposed to the elements and there is a little bit of rust building up in the threads. Nothing to affect function, but just a very light coating that acts like locktite (my theory). Any way, I've never had to tighten them.

If a proper mounting plate is used, the top box itself should serve for years. I am on the second box because the first one had the bottom attachments torn out due to the vibration caused by poor mounting plate that came with the box.

• Member Contributer

You may want to inspect the SW rack now and then, I had one come apart, I believe metal fatigue set in over the few years I used it and it eventually split dumping my Givi box on the road. The SW adapter plate also lost the rubber insulators now and then so I kept a few around when I had mine in use.

I replaced the SW Alum. rack with a steel job from Five Stars, whom I think is now out of business; their rack isn't as pretty and holds the case parallel with the ground and not tilted to better match the style of the bike, but it's very strong.

Thanks guys, good advice all around. I too was worried about the rubber insulators, rubber posts and the strength of the plates. Although, I believe I have a steel one. See link. Even thought the description says aluminum, the one I have is not light at all.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/7486/78/

I will order some replacement hardware to keep on hand. Thank you for the tips!

JohnB

• Member Contributer

Thanks guys, good advice all around. I too was worried about the rubber insulators, rubber posts and the strength of the plates. Although, I believe I have a steel one. See link. Even thought the description says aluminum, the one I have is not light at all.

http://www.twistedth...ctview/7486/78/

I will order some replacement hardware to keep on hand. Thank you for the tips!

JohnB

Mine doesn't look like it's aluminum either.

The two tubes are def. steele and the plate is steele as well - I had to make a hole and tapped some threads trying to better hold the JCW mounting plate. It's all steele.

Archived