83" VF750F Exhaust Question

Guest Vulcangunner

Guest Vulcangunner

I just bought a kinda rough 1983 VF750F Interceptor & both the exhaust collector mount bolts are missing. The collector is hanging about 1/2" - 3/4" too low for the mount bolts to line up. I put a floor jack under the collector (with a board in between) & lifted the rear tire off the ground. The collector slid up about 1/2" when I whacked it with a rubber hammer, but it still needs at least another 1/2" to line up.

The exhaust clamps on the rear exhaust pipes are frozen with rust (stainless clamp body is fine, bolt/nut are shot.) but I think they will slide right off seeing as they slid up.

Anyway, my questions:

Do the rear cylinder exhaust clamps lock onto that ring cast into the primary exhaust pipe?

Are the pipes in the picture not slid together enough?

The clamps have little protrusions that seem like they would lock over that ring on the primary pipe to prevent the collector from slipping off the end of the primary pipe.

I have included a picture of what the hell I am talking about.

Thanks.

post-25287-0-34761600-1339724645.jpg

• Member Contributer

Looks to me like they are all the way up. The clamps do not lock on to the upper pipes.

Ok, thank you very much.

I guess I will just pull the entire exhaust system off, clean everything, paint it up nice, replace the clamp bolts, & new exhaust gaskets.

I am kind of afraid of how bad those lower collector pipes are gonna look under those clamps. The flared part looks a little rough. Hopefully they don't turn to orange dust when I pull them off.

Thanks again for the advice, my Clymer book doesn't show me squat about those rear exhausts.

Ok, here is the collector assembly.

There are small holes in the outer casing but the metal is still thick around the holes so they didn't rust through. Are they designed to be there or what?

The two rear pipe ends are kind of rough & where these tubes connect to the main casing they are both cracked about 50% of their diameter.

I know a guy that has been welding longer than I have been alive (38 yrs) & I going to see what he can do with it.

Any advice on how to handle those funky rear pipe ends & the cracks?

The exhaust clamps came out in great shape although the bolts were wasted.

I was looking on Ebay & the only thing I could find was a setup that actually looked worse than mine for $180 + S&H.

The header pipes that connect to the rear cylinders looks great, I'm guessing they are stainless or very high nickle steel.

IMG 9334

IMG 9331

IMG 9330

IMG 9335

Archived