Best way to plug up gas tank for electrolysis on 5th gen

squidzilla

I have an extra gas tank that has some rust in it. Not too much , but enough to bug me. I have decided to use electrolysis to remove the rust and need some ideas on how to plug up the gas tank so all of the 5 gallons of solution does not leak out during the process.

So far all I have thought of is duct tape.

Surely someone here has done this before, I mean some of you are building entire motorcycles.

Thanks for any help.

• Member Contributer

I used duct tape to seal the tank on my old ZX600 for rust remover. Worked better than I thought it would! Had some very minor seepage, but not a problem since it was getting repainted anyway. Just make sure the sealing surfaces are completely clean, and dry before putting it on. I also tossed in a handful of drywall screws to help scour the inside. Kind of a pain to get the last few out, but got 'em all with the trusty magnet on a stick.

I used a commercial biodegradable rust remover so using a simple soda/water solution should be duct tape friendly. You might want to use multiple layers though to hold the weight. I only needed a quart of the stuff I used, and slosh it around. It worked great, but unfortunately can't find it around anymore.

Archived