Carb Maintenance

Got a question for the group. I've cleaned out the carbs on my 93 and performed the sync today. Everything went fine with my homemade sync tool, but there seems to be a little performance issue. From closed to 1/8th open is not as tight and crisp as I remember. I believe it has something to do with the pilot screws. I've read about a procedure to measure the rpms and you tweak the pilot screws to get it to "dial in." My question is this, what are people using for a portable tach to measure the rpms? You can't read +/- 50 rpms on the installed tach. If anyone has a suggestion, please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Adam

Most or atleast Many, Muti-Meters have a Tach setting.

How to hook it up to a MC with electronic Ignition I personally don't know ??

• Member Contributer

The pilot jets are not just for idling, they are the main component up to about 3500 RPM if I recall properly. Above that, the needle jet starts kicking in and then at high RPM the main jet becomes king. You can bump up the throttle to about 3000 RPM and tweak the pilot screws while watching the bike's tac. Start off with the jets about a turn or a bit more off the seat and back them off while watching the tac and just listening to changes in engine speed.

You should find the sweet spot where the engine speed increases but don't go too far or you will run too rich.

I haven't done this on VFR's but I did do it on other bikes with a high degree of success.

• 3 weeks later...

The pilot jets are not just for idling, they are the main component up to about 3500 RPM if I recall properly. Above that, the needle jet starts kicking in and then at high RPM the main jet becomes king. You can bump up the throttle to about 3000 RPM and tweak the pilot screws while watching the bike's tac. Start off with the jets about a turn or a bit more off the seat and back them off while watching the tac and just listening to changes in engine speed.

You should find the sweet spot where the engine speed increases but don't go too far or you will run too rich.

I haven't done this on VFR's but I did do it on other bikes with a high degree of success.

IntAceptor, I just tried this out and it worked out pretty good. It definietly feels better than it did before, but it still isn't quite there. I'm curious how the professional mechanics do it, and how I can do it like them. Thank you for the suggestion as it made it better.

Adam

• Member Contributer

Got a question for the group. I've cleaned out the carbs on my 93 and performed the sync today. Everything went fine with my homemade sync tool, but there seems to be a little performance issue. From closed to 1/8th open is not as tight and crisp as I remember. I believe it has something to do with the pilot screws. I've read about a procedure to measure the rpms and you tweak the pilot screws to get it to "dial in." My question is this, what are people using for a portable tach to measure the rpms? You can't read +/- 50 rpms on the installed tach. If anyone has a suggestion, please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Adam

Adam,

I've had good luck with this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000UZO0L0/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B002Z32OHW&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0GJEDT70Z22WHDMF2D94

Use it to sync my 5th gen. Handy, easy to use. Agree that the directionality is a minor pain, but otherwise I love it.

Atram

Adam

Adam,

I've had good luck with this:

http://www.amazon.co...T70Z22WHDMF2D94

Use it to sync my 5th gen. Handy, easy to use. Agree that the directionality is a minor pain, but otherwise I love it.

Atram

Thank you for the suggestion. I have a portable tach, but it tsn't that good and it bounces around alot. This one might work out a little better.

So, after a little trial and error, I finally got everything tweaked in as close as I can with what equipment that I have. I took the bike out for a ride. The fuel light came on at 170 miles. I filled up at 180 miles and put 3.92 gallons in (with the bike on the center stand). That works out to 45.92 mpg. Last season I was averageing about 35 mpg. I think I'll place this one in the win category.

Archived