1999 VFR with odd idle stalls

entoptic

I just picked up a mint 99' and I am running into this weird idle issue. On my 97 and 95 when I blip the throttle the idle indicator will go up and come back down to the starting point. On my 99' I can blip the throttle and the needle goes up and comes down past the original idle point then goes back to the original idle point. I can do this 2 times in a row real fast and actually stall the bike. When I blip the throttle it almost seems like the engine is cutting out just a little. I know people are going to say it's my form but trust me it isn't. I don't even let the clutch out but it is close to the friction zone.

Any help is appreciated.

PS - Would someone point me the throttle idle adjustment. I see it in the manual but I can't see it with my eyes!

• Member Contributer

What is your idle rpm?

I like to be on the high side of 1,200rpm.

Idle adjustment is done with small flat tip screwdriver.

It is inserted into the hole in the frame - right side.

Should be covered by a rubber grommet.

What is your idle rpm?

I like to be on the high side of 1,200rpm.

Idle adjustment is done with small flat tip screwdriver.

It is inserted into the hole in the frame - right side.

Should be covered by a rubber grommet.

Thanks for the tip! My idle was around 1k :( I was looking all over for that damn thing and saw the rubber but thought it was there for something else. I removed the rubber, stuck a long screwdriver in and felt around till I found the idle. I made the adjustment to around 13k and TADA no more stalls. I tried my best to stall it out and couldn't.

Thanks!

Archived