Harsh ride 1991 VFR

Recently purchased a 91' with 1800 miles on the odometer, After having sat for more than twelve years, the carbs were cleaned, all fluids changed out, new set of BT023s, new fork seals , The motor runs like new and everything seems to work fine. But the ride is much harsher than I remember from my first 91' VFR bought new and rode fo 10 years.

Help!

• Member Contributer

Harsh in the front or the back? First I would start off easy and look at my tire pressure. Then at the spring preload and damping adjustments on the rear shock.

What weight oil did you put in the forks? and did you do anything with the stock forks (springs, valves)?

Thanks, Tire pressure was was well under the suggested 36lb rear 34lb front, backed off the preload some. But really need some extra hands to set it right. What would be a good point to start with for proper sag?

Just reducing the preload and correcting the tire presure helped alot. the fork seems to be working fine.

post-25146-0-04269100-1338703016.jpgNew to VFRD and looking forward to see what other VFR owners are talking about.

That bike looks fantastic!

I had the same exact one in 1993 new. In 1993 the color that year was refrigerator white!

I made phone calls to all the dealers in the tri-state area looking for any color but white! I found a left over 91 in red at a dealer in Atlantic City.

I miss it alot, one of the nicest bikes I ever had, until 2 years later, a left turn driver took me out in front of my old Jr. high school :angry: It was a total loss.

This Polaroid was taken when I first got it, and the Hein Gericke 2 piece racing suit and boots.

Sorry to say, I still have the suit, but I'll never get back into it again :tour:

I know you will enjoy VFR!

post-25194-0-21521700-1338752035.jpg

• Member Contributer

post-25146-0-04269100-1338703016.jpgNew to VFRD and looking forward to see what other VFR owners are talking about.

That bike looks fantastic!

I had the same exact one in 1993 new. In 1993 the color that year was refrigerator white!

I made phone calls to all the dealers in the tri-state area looking for any color but white! I found a left over 91 in red at a dealer in Atlantic City.

I miss it alot, one of the nicest bikes I ever had, until 2 years later, a left turn driver took me out in front of my old Jr. high school :angry: It was a total loss.

This Polaroid was taken when I first got it, and the Hein Gericke 2 piece racing suit and boots.

Sorry to say, I still have the suit, but I'll never get back into it again :tour:

I know you will enjoy VFR!

SingleAction, are you related to the Red Rocker?

Red-Rocker.jpg

Telepops, I've never run BT023's, but I have noticed that some tires seem more harsh than others at the same psi. It may just be a combination of several minor things that individually wouldn't make much difference. Sounds like you are on your way to getting it worked out.

If I remember correctly, the 91 came with Dunlop tires. Seems Honda like Dunlop, my 1998 also has Dunlop radials on it.

• Member Contributer

tbzep,

How did you know my name was "Sammy"?

After watching you perform with Chicken Foot and reading a few of your posts, I could just tell it was you. :musik20::laugh:

Archived