Strange idle issue on my new to me 06

Guest boxerdad

Guest boxerdad

Anyone ever run across this? My idle seems to be dependent on air temperature. When it's cool out (55°) the idle stays around 2000 rpm regardless of coolant temperature. With warmer air (80°) it sits right at 1100. I've only had it a short time but so far it is quite consistent. The cold air idle has been as high as 2500 even with 180+° coolant. Any ideas? Wax unit maybe? Thanks in advance for your input.

• Member Contributer

Anyone ever run across this? My idle seems to be dependent on air temperature. When it's cool out (55°) the idle stays around 2000 rpm regardless of coolant temperature. With warmer air (80°) it sits right at 1100. I've only had it a short time but so far it is quite consistent. The cold air idle has been as high as 2500 even with 180+° coolant. Any ideas? Wax unit maybe? Thanks in advance for your input.

I would definitely say your wax unit sounds stuck. This can be easily checked! All you need to do is adjust the idle screw (right-hand side of bike). When the bike is idling too high with a hot engine, turn the idle screw one full rotation anti-clockwise. Record if the idle speed drops. Return idle screw back to prior position.

If the idle speed does not respond adjustments of the idle speed screw, your fast idle wax unit is stuck.

The fast idle unit begins to contract at around 50 degrees C of coolant temperature. If it's clogged up the idle speed won't drop until heat soak does the same job the coolant was supposed to do.

I recommend watching my video on how fast idle wax units work too:

Thanks fellas, I'll be working on a fix for it soon. Now I know exactly where to come if I get stuck. You guys rock!

Archived