My 4th Gen, back to life! Post accident rebuild

With the help of many of you here, a reasonable sum of cash (mostly to fellow VFRd folks, so that makes it OK), and a tenuous relationship with my wife, I've rebuilt the 97 in a month or so following my accident in April. I was questioning my sanity wanting to rebuild it, and just about everyone told me "Don't Bother, Get Another!", but I decided it was worth the rebuilding since it was fairly mechanically sound, a legendary bike, an intoxicating ride, and I admit it, I'm emotionally attached. :tour: I am also often at odds with the typical American throw-it-away-and-buy-another attitude, so I enjoyed rebuilding it.

The bike originally had 5,300 miles on it and was pristine. Had I known at the time, I would have removed the flawless bodywork, stored it wrapped in bubble wrap and embalming fluid, and ran second hand plastics. Live and learn.

After being run over by a trailer, it wasn't so pristine. Miraculously, after checking the fork sliders and tubes on a surface plate and v-blocks, they were straight! Not sure how I managed to save those. I replaced or repaired lots of bits and ended up with a few bonuses: Givi monocase (Thanks BenBot), 929 rear shock (not on yet), woodcraft clip ons (not on yet, pending radial master cylinders that will fit), dubious Hong Kong brake and clutch levers, and a few others.

I learned how hard it is to straighten the upper fairing stay and if that dang thing isn't straight, NOTHING wants to go on right!

Riding it today, it felt pretty good. It felt like the back end was wandering a bit more under braking, I wonder if that is related to dropping the fork tubes 7mm? I was very on edge riding though, so with a proverbial 2x4 up my a** it could have been my imagination.

If it happens again, screw it, I'm going for an RC45 conversion.

Before the accident:

DSC02983.JPG

After the accident:

2012-04-18_15-25-21_982.jpg

2012-04-18_10-05-06_406.jpg

2012-04-18_10-06-48_792.jpg

During the rebuild: That might be my dinner on the subframe. I have no idea why the wife was so upset, it's not like I was out there wrenching EVERY night... :rolleyes:

2012-04-22_14-16-04_255%2520comp.jpg

Making Progress:

2012-05-10_21-22-53_877comp.jpg

Fairing Repair - hopefully it holds together:

2012-05-10_21-25-23_999%2520comp.jpg

Just about done:

2012-05-11_11-21-31_455%2520comp.jpg

2012-05-13_13-08-12_786%2520comp.jpg

2012-05-13_13-08-26_293%2520comp.jpg

Thanks everyone for your help!

• Member Contributer

Congrats and nice job on keeping another 4th gen on the road! :fing02: I really hate to see these bikes being broken down and sold off in parts for whatever reasons. You did a beautiful job bringing her back. You say a trailer hit it? I'm not familiar with your accident. Was it parked?

Chuck

Nice.

We need to see more pics of the VF over to the right.......

I'll get some pics of the '85 later. She's in pretty good shape, 19,000 miles I think. I've thought about selling her but I meet so many people who either had one and loved it or wanted one back in the 80's, so it's a fun bike to take out.

I got into a disagreement with a big pickup pulling a 12ft trailer. Truck hit me and then the trailer ran over the bike. It's kind of sad, I was able to rebuild the bike and get it back on the road before the insurance company has been able to sort things out.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

nice job, did you paint it and where did you get the paint and decals, looks great and another 4th gen remains on the road

Archived