Brake and clutch master cylinder replacements

I've been scouring old threads for hours and haven't gotten anywhere. I'd like to replace the integral brake/clutch masters and reservoirs on my 97 with remote reservoirs (trying to make room for woodcraft clip ons). What bikes had matching clutch and brake master cylinder sizes to the 4th gen VFR that I can transplant?

I've read that the master cylinder sizes should match stock for the correct brake force and throw.

I've also read the clutch master might be 14mm and VTR or RC51 clutch master might work, but what about the brake master?

Thanks guys (maybe this should be in modifications?)

• Member Contributer

I've been scouring old threads for hours and haven't gotten anywhere. I'd like to replace the integral brake/clutch masters and reservoirs on my 97 with remote reservoirs (trying to make room for woodcraft clip ons). What bikes had matching clutch and brake master cylinder sizes to the 4th gen VFR that I can transplant?

I've read that the master cylinder sizes should match stock for the correct brake force and throw.

I've also read the clutch master might be 14mm and VTR or RC51 clutch master might work, but what about the brake master?

Thanks guys (maybe this should be in modifications?)

Lemme know when you find out

I replaced the front with a Yamaha radial master since I have an R1 front end, there is a universal radial master for clutch that is a 19mm unit but thatis compatible with a 14mm master.

Chris

PS

looking at an RC 51 unit on ebay it looked like the reservoir was fitted to the master and was not a remote unit.

One of the threads here mentioned a ducati unit might have the same master size, but unsure what model or year. Might have been a brembo unit? I don't want to break the bank on this though.

Got some more info according to this site which sells replacement cylinders: http://www.stuff4bik...4-98-1138-c.asp

4th gen VFR Master Cylinder sizes:

Front Brake: 12.7mm (0.5in)

Rear Brake: 12.7mm (0.5in)

Clutch: 14.0mm

Thinking and reading about it though - since the radial style master cylinders with remote reservoirs mount and function differently than the regular "coffin" style master cylinders, the applied brake force will be different even with the same cylinder sizes. It seems to me the pivot point location and lever arm sizes on radial style brakes vs. coffin style brakes are significantly different. That tells me maybe to achieve the same stock brake force, I don't actually want a 12.7mm master cylinder in a radial configuration, but something different?

Can someone help me get this straight?

4th gen VFR Master Cylinder sizes (not sure if this is correct):

Yes, all the numbers are correct :fing02:

It seems to me the pivot point location and lever arm sizes on radial style brakes vs. coffin style brakes are significantly different

It has nothing to do with the design raidal versus standard. I have here a radial Nissin bmc and the pivot lenght is about the same as that of a VFR bmc.

Archived