Need a backrest

Since l bought my VFR1200 in Feb, my wife has been pregnant and hasn't been on the bike yet. She does love to ride, and looks forward to getting out soon as her due date is nearing. I cant decide what to buy as she really desires some sort of backrest. Should l buy the Corbin seat and backrest, the Honda top box and cushion, or a Givi. Not sure l trust the mounting set-up on the Givi's though. I already have the Honda sidebags. Thoughts/opinions appreciated!

Jess,

I run a Corbin dual tour seat on my '10 1200. It is a great saddle. The look is different, with the build in "welts", but it is very comfortable and very well made. It is heavier than the stock seat, if that matters to you.

I had a Corbin on a previous bike, so I already had the small oval backrest. Wife loved it, and it looks good on the 1200. It is non heated, so I can't offer any advice if you want the version of the seat. Nice to know they offer it, however.

I have the OEM side panniers, as well, and thought hard about the top case. The fact was, I like the Corbin seat, as does the wife. No sliding around for her, and it offers a bit more room than the stock seat. The top box doesn't look bad, imo, but I don't want it on every time we decide to go for a ride. I definatley don't want her riding without a backrest on this bike!

I have the OEM top box with pad and my wife loves it. ...I also like that it matches the bike (hey, I'm a designer, and I like things to look the part). It's nice that it will actually hold a full face helmet as well.

The OEM box would be my top choice (obviously). :)

I already had a Givi top box from a previous motorcycle. I just put the Givi rack on a couple weeks ago for a 4 day weekend trip to the Ozarks. I really like the functionality of a top box...easier to access things than a saddlebag. The Givi rack seems very sturdy and well made. After the initial installation, it takes less than 5 minutes to take it off or put it on. Just remove the seat, remove the passenger hand holds and put the Givi rack on in their place... 6 easy to access bolts.

The Givi rack also comes with very nice passenger handholds. Yesterday, the wife and I went for a ride with the top box in place to evaluate if for a trip we're going to do in a couple weeks. She liked the top box as a backrest. I asked whether she wanted me to get the back cushion for the top box and she said it was fine without it and it seemed to be positioned perfectly. YMMV But, we're very happy with the Givi top box and rack. My only complaint with the Givi rack is the rack looks a little goofy without a box on it. It sits up kind of high. It isn't horrible, but, the bike obviously doesn't look as sleek with it on. It isn't a big deal because I only plan to use the rack on trips. The other bonus of the Givi rack is the variety of sizes of boxes you can get. The Honda rack only accepts Honda top boxes.

Good luck with your decision.

Good points about the Givi. I'm sure it is nice. That said, the OEM topbox is definately the one to get if you're interested in looks (matching paint, etc.)

One consideration for me was that I already had the Corbin backrest. If not, the price of the seat and backrest is going to set you back nearly the cost of the Honda topbox. Of course, your still stuck with the OEM seat, but if that's not a problem for you or your pillion, then I'd say go for it. The added storage would be nice.

One day, I'll have all the stuff on my "wish list" for this great motorcycle. I've a ways to go, however...

All good points fellas... Tough decision! Eventually l would like an upgraded seat and a top box for trips. I'm not sure how often l will use the top box when the wife isn't with me. The Givi mount might drive me nuts with no box attached. Just crazy how much more the Honda set-up is than the Givi.

i was going through the same concern, and here is what i thought of in the end,

if its corbin seat, in addition to back rest for pillion,

- the rider and pillion also get to have a good seat upgrade,

- the seat will be there for every ride you go out, short, med, long and always helpful

- there is always the soft bag as a cheap alternative to once in a while touring which need storage, until u save enough for the hardcases.

so overall, i am thinking i will get the corbin seat with back rest first, then eventually buy hardcases if needed. plus the fact i still have to get used the top case look on a bike.

I have the Honda top box with a Corbin for my 1200F but, my wife stopped riding with me 5 years ago so I have the whole thing to myself.

DSCI0310.jpg

The welts look just fine. I guess I'm used to it. The hole in the seat is there, but there is a leather flap combo that velcro's it down (covers it) if you want to take out the backrest (or if you choose not to get it. (although I can't imagine why you'd consider this seat if you're not interested in the backrest)

I did not know the seat could be ordered without the welts, but I guess that's something you could talk over with Corbin. They have good cs, and have always been pleasant with me on the phone.

I like the seat a lot. The wife loves the seat. No sliding around. Lots of room compared to stock. She's about 130 lbs, and I'm I80. Make sure you give them your weights when you order.

Forgot to add, I went with the asphalt sides and carbon seat. It looks very good. Corbin will send you a sample of any material you're considering.

The oval back looks different when you're on the bike, especially when solo. Take it off, if you want (takes 1 minute) or just go with it and understand that you look different than your average rider. Of course you already know that, right? After all, you're riding a VFR!

Seat is on, backrest is off, in my avatar pic.

Thanks HVRN... The order form lists no welts as an option... Didnt think to tell them my wife's weight, thanks for the heads up...lm most likely getting a backrest in the near future, just wanted to make sure the mounting hole is still there if l dont order the backrest at the same time as the seat.

Sometimes you can find the oval backs on ebay. Shop carefully, but they are pretty "universal" in fit. Not so bike specific, in other words. They're pricey new, but you do get options.

• 2 weeks later...

Considering getting the Corbin. My main concern is the seat height. I can barely flat foot the bike with the stock seat. Can people comment on how much height did the Corbin seat add for you if any? Thanks

Archived