Installing 12V outlet on VFR1200DCT

It's really expensive! j/k

+ 2 - rivets

+ 2 - 1/4" washers

+ 1 - 12V outlet from Walmart, $9

+ 1 - roll of 16AWG, $6 or $7

+ 1 - fuse holder from Radio Shack, $3 (link)

+ A couple of connectors, heated shrink wrap and 2 ring connectors (1/4")

Tools:

+ Riveter (link)

+ 1 drill bit the same size as the rivets your are using and a drill

+ 1 crimping tool (link)

+ 1 heat gun (link)

+ 1 solder if you want to make sure all connectors stay in place.

Steps:

1. Connect positive wire from the outlet to the fuse holder and a ring connector

2. Connect negative wire from the outlet to a ring connector

3. Drill 2 holes at the + marks (Under the seat, Honda already marked 2 spots and it goes in perfectly)

4. Riveting the outlet to the compartment and you are done.

I already have these tools so installing wasn't a bad thing.

Phien

post-24678-0-35654900-1335874436.jpg

Looks great.

Is that the universal cigaret lighter socket? Do you have more overview photo as I don't really know the position of the socket on your bike.

Looks great.

Is that the universal cigaret lighter socket? Do you have more overview photo as I don't really know the position of the socket on your bike.

VH:

It's a universal cigarette lighter socket I purchased from a store named Walmart in US. I will upload its position when I have a chance this evening.

Looks great.

VH:

This is where the cigarette lighter locates on my bike.

post-24678-0-40281300-1335959860.jpg

How much work would it be to re-wire that to the front of the bike? giving you for example a USB port in front of the tank?

The outlet I install stays where it is because Honda already chose that location for its OEM outlet. If you want to install a USB port in front of the tank, I predict you might run into some difficulties when running the wires. The best method is following Honda's wiring tube to avoid your wire blocking other things.

Because that same reason, I haven't replace the factory horn with the Wolo Bad Boy air horn, but I still have to check out the work.

• Forum CEO

Ez Block - fused relayed wire block

Symtec Heat Deamon - Heated grips and controller

Heated Grip controller

Mine is a bit more involved, heated grips, heated seat, 2 powerlet outlets, radar detector, autocom communicator - most this stuff came off my old bike - switched relay fuse block, headlight flasher for better visiblity, brake light flashers (same) - I got ran off the road by a guy who did not see me in Tennessee I am hoping the flashing lights gives me a break (or literally a brake).

Thanks Onokiyo.

The reason I asked the location of the outlet is its convenience.

So, what are the external power users you normally have with your bike?

As far as I know, the GPS, camera, cellphone, and may be the grip heater like HS'.

And those equipment mostly be mounted at the front of the bike. So I would like to bring the socket to the front for more convenience rather than remove the seat everytime you need it.

VH:

I thought about bringing the outlet to the front but then I will either have to spend a lot more money on the accessory to make it look nice and neat (like Powerlet products) or drilling the external plastics to mount the outlet. Either way is against my will so I will need to do the extra work to get the wire running to the front of the bike is some way which I'm sure there will be one.

Archived