Newbie with vf500f engine question

Guest ahdoman

Guest ahdoman

Ref; 86 VF500F

Hey all,

I just picked up a 1986 VF500F that is complete and everything is there. It had been sitting for a couple of years. After some quick rework on the carbs I got it to fire and run but it sounded like it was only running on three cylinders. Checked compression and #1 was down. I took the valve cover off only to dicover a broken exhaust valve. The tip of the valve shaft is gone but I can see the the broken top of the valve just below the retainer so I'm hoping it hasn't hammered the piston or tore up the cylinder bore. I haven't had the time yet to pull the engine for further inspection. I know the 86 has the smaller carbs on it. Is there also a difference in the valve train sizing as well? The parts fische lists a different part number for the valves from 86 as opposed to 83 - 85. There's a couple of OEM valves listed on eBay from 85's fairly cheap. I'm hoping the bore isn't trashed. It would be a shame to have to part this bike.

Here's a shot of what I saw when I pulled the cover...

post-24659-0-78202300-1333980463.jpg

post-24659-0-61019400-1333980760.jpg

I am new here as well, just purchased an 83 vf750/v45 Interceptor, yesterday afternoon.

I would say that the valves are different, & not interchangable. Good luck on getting your bike back on the road.

Paul

Welcome, I'm sure if they're different in the parts fische you don't wanna interchang em, something is different other than the part numbers I'm sure. Just keep pokin around fleabay and maybe your local craigslist. You might even find a whole nuther engne for cheap and get the bike together that way. Sorry about the shot valve and bad luck, but don't part her out just yet!!

I checked hondapartshouse.com and the exhaust valve part #s for both the '85 and '86 are the same. invisible cities is the resident expert on the VF500F, I'm sure he will chime in on this.

Archived