GenMar Risers on my 3rdGen. Review ...

Ordered Genmar Risers on the 23rd of March. They were shipped via USPS to the Great White North and arrived April 2nd. That totaled 8 business days, 12 including the weekends. Very pleased with the delivery.

Installation took less than 10 minutes, extremely easy even for me! Very simple to installed, good for me.

Finally went for a ride today to test them and hoping they would make a difference to my wrists.

First off, the addition of a tall givi touring screen reduced buffeting and provided more comfortable wind management yet created a different series of problems resulting in more pressure on my wrists and discomfort in my lower back. I began looking for a used set Helibars. (Helibars are no longer manufactured for 3rd gen bikes). After searching for over a year, I decided to go for the Genmar risers.

The Genmar risers provide a 19mm increase in the height of the bars. At first I was apprehensive to buy a set as I did not think 19mm would make a difference. Today I was pleasantly surprised. The risers did make a noticeable difference during both city and highway riding. Along with the 19mm increase in height, the bars are also slightly back further as the risers mount onto the top of the forks and thus move back on the same angle as the forks.

Once I get a few more rides in I will follow up with another review. So far so good!

My bike had 3/4" Genmar risers on it when I bought it and I agree they made a substantial difference! I took them off however since I have a short commute to work and back. And I like the more forward/ sporty stance.

• Member Contributer

I have had Genmar risers on my 2004 for one season of about 15,000 miles.

They were a worthwhile addition and I have no complaints with them. I think you will be happy with them.

One thing I have noticed, the more you ride a VFR, the more comfortable the riding position becomes. It takes a little while for your muscles to adapt.

IMO, the risers helped make riding much more comfortable until my muscles adapted to the riding position.

I might not need them now, but I see no reason to change something that is working good for me.

You will also find a market for used risers if you decide they are not for you. Seems like someone is always looking for used ones.

• 4 weeks later...

I just added the Gen Mar risers to my '03 VFR and even though 19mm seems minuscule, the change in riding position is very evident. I feel much more upright w/o sacrificing handling. One complaint I have about the addition of the Gen Mar risers is that with the clip-ons, you end up clipping onto only a portion of the fork tube as the riser causes the clip-on to sit above the top of the fork tube. Gen Mar includes an aluminum inset ring to evenly distribute the clamping force but the amount of clip-on on fork tube seems greatly reduced, albeit only 19mm. I put Gen Mar risers onto my last bike, an '03 YZF600R Yamaha "Thundercat", and a big difference is that with that fork bridge you actually screw the clip-on through the riser into the bridge itself unlike the VFR bridge where the riser sits in the notch and you clamp half of the clip-on onto the fork tube. Seems sturdy enough but still makes me leery. Happy to say that the risers don't cause any reservoir rub under the front cowl from the brake or clutch and there's no need to re-cable. I also added the Gen Mar mirror extensions and they're a nice, unobtrusive addition that help get my elbows out of the picture. I'll try to get pictures up.

I actually returned my bar risers this week. After I noticed I couldn't seat the clip-on firmly enough onto the bar riser that it wouldn't wiggle I decided it wasn't tight enough for my liking. Not having the clip-on fully clamped to the fork tube didn't give the most confidence either. The stock riding position is really quite comfortable, even for me being 6'1" with long limbs and no torso. Considering the BLS lowering blocks for the pegs and a Sargent seat, but for now I'm just loving my VFR as it is.

• 5 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Can someone tell me the torque specs for the Gen Mar risers?

14 foot-pounds.

See Item #5.

Honda Installation Instructions

assemblyHonda.jpg.

1. Remove the clip-ring on top of the fork tube above the handlebar. On some models you will need to move the front brake hose out of the clip that pulls the slack in the hose up to the fork tube, just above the lower triple clamp. Loosen the pinch bolt on the handlebar and remove the bar from the top of the forks, leaving the controls in place.

2. Place riser on top of the fork crown, where the handlebar had been, with the 8mm bolt face down and in the same notch in the fork crown that the pinch bolt in the fork crown goes through. The handlebar has a cast-in locator pin on the side of the bar as to go into the same notch.

3. Place the handlebar on top of the riser block with the locator pin on the handlebar lined up with the small hole above the 8mm bolt on the bottom side of the riser block.

4. Insert the small tube with the metal cap down through the top of the handlebar to cover the preload adjuster. This is just for looks and will help to keep the upper part of the handlebar and preload adjuster neat.

5. Tighten the pinch bolt on the handlebar and you are finished. Torque 8mm bolts to 14 foot-pounds.

6. Start the engine and turn the handlebars all the way to left and right to make sure none of the controls bind.

VTR models: The front brake hose is too short, so we supply a small aluminum bracket so you can raise the brake hose on the front of the bottom triple clamp. The junction is held on with one 6mm bolt. Remove the bolt and install aluminum bracket to triple clamp with bolt supplied and then refit junction to aluminum bracket with stock bolt in threaded hole. This will move the junction up 1/2" so you don't have to replace the brake hose.

F4 models: The handlebar riser with the chamferred edge should be installed on the right side. Also, for maximum handlebar clamping grip on the fork tube, it is recommended that the fork tubes be raised in the triple clamp by 5 millimeters.

DO NOT remove the fork caps from the fork tubes. - Please read the instructions at least twice.

Archived