1986 Interceptor

Guest coffeebrake

Guest coffeebrake

Local guy, about 50 miles from me, has offered a 1986 Interceptor 750 for $1000 and will come down from that. Significantly, I hope.

I asked for a photo and got a picture of what I think is a VF750. It certainly is not a 86-87 VFR750. Does this sound right?

He says it needs "coils." Coils? Maybe one coil. Not more than that, not likely. So maybe he has no idea what's really wrong. He say it needs coils and mirrors and signals. OK...I can do that, and I can go through carbs, and I can find out what ignition problem is making him think he needs the coils replaced. We all know it's likely carbs. Right?

Is this the model with all the top end oiling issues? I'm not willing to take that on. I already have a great-running Interceptor 700, I was kind of looking to rescue what I might be able make run again with my limited shade-tree capabilities.

If this bike has more than maybe 20k miles and the top end oiling mod has not been done, I must walk away, I can't tackle new cams.

Right?

What else might plague this bike?

I'll come right out and say it, I'm a bottom-feeder for old bikes right now, but if it's a solid machine I'd totally put it back on the road.

• Member Contributer

if it's a VF, it is prone to the top-end issues... ignition issues w/ that bike would probably be either the pickup coils, or something in the igniter box(s)... My VF's problem, because it wasn't garage kept for a fair bit of it's life, that humidity would get into the CDI boxes.. would cause a misfire.. I've heard of the pickup coils getting a little intermittent from heat for people, also.

Cams you just would have to look at.. no all of them suffered as much as others... My cams looked good w/ over 30k and didn't have the oil mod - I always attributed that to running the bike like I stole it... always has lots of oil pressure.. LOL

• Member Contributer

first vfr 750 interceptors were from 86-89 rc24

then rc36 90-97

(vfr700 86-87 rc26)

They are all very similar, sharing manuals across the range 86-97.

Check the rectifier has not fried first...as with all these models..

The VF is a different beast... normally associated with chocolate cams..

Yeah, having done more research, this is not the right machine for me to tackle. I know it has been neglected. Some Hondas take that in stride, but not these ones.

Archived