FI light + rough start/idle

Guest phendric

Guest phendric

Guys,

I joined the site in November, when I bought my 5th-gen VFR. Year 2000, had 62,000 miles on the clock. The previous owner said he had gotten the valve clearances checked a few months earlier, but had no paperwork/receipts, so I don't know whether it actually happened.

The bike now has almost 67,000 miles on it - I'm loving the thing. I commute every day, but it's just so easy to justify going various places when I get to ride it. However, a couple of minor issues have come up, and I'm hoping for help troubleshooting them.

1) When I'm cruising down the freeway in 6th gear, and slowing increasing my speed, occasionally the FI light will come on and stay on. When I get to my destination, turn off the bike, and turn it back on, the light goes off and stays off. Anything I should be worried about?

2) When the bike is cold, it sometimes won't start on the first try. More accurately, it starts, but almost immediately dies. Then it catches on the second try. This has only started occurring in the last couple of weeks. I have a brand new Lithium-ion battery in it, so it's not battery issues.

3) Together with the issues starting, the bike idles a little low and somewhat roughly. The low idle issue corrects itself after 20-30 seconds, but it always is a little rough at idle.

Where should I be looking to troubleshoot/fix these (minor) problems? I live in Los Angeles, CA, so freezing weather is not an issue.

Thanks.

• Member Contributer

Other's will probably be more precise, but I would look at the fuel filter and plugs. Are there any mods on the bike? Several of those could be the source of your issues.

Other's will probably be more precise, but I would look at the fuel filter and plugs. Are there any mods on the bike? Several of those could be the source of your issues.

Not many mods, no. Mostly electrical. The wiring harness started having issues with the previous owner, so he installed a parallel harness from a guy at wiremybike.com, put in a new voltage r/r, and added a 12-V adapter to charge his phone with. The windscreen got replaced with a Zero Gravity one.

Howdy,

First off download the 5th gen Service Manual (if that file has been rebuilt) and check your cpu for fault codes, this should point you right to the issue if your lucky. The Fi light is only coming on because the cpu see's a fault.

BR

Archived