Gas mileage and Z-Bomb.......

Well......................I love my Z-Bomb! It rocks! THE BEST $71 I HAVE EVER SPENT ON A BIKE! I do miss my 1st & 2nd gear indication sometimes. However, I am getting acclimated to my old style of just paying attention to how the bike and RPM's feel. The problem, and it's not a big problem, is my gas mileage has gone from 35-38 mpg to 30-32 mpg. It may be my fault. I DO use the "WHACK" in 1st & 2nd a little more (or even a lot). That may be the why and wherefore. It's just something I noticed. Don't get me wrong! My daily "drive" is a 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, 5.7 liter Hemi w/17 mpg. I'm just wondering if anyone else has noticed this phenomenon. What say you Z-Bombers?????????????????? Any change in mpg's or are you adult enough to govern yourselves?

Ride safe.

Mark

No, the fuel consumption is the same, more or less. Probably you have changed the riding style.

At the end the Z-Bomb is only a small change in the normal use. Only if you go quite fast, remaining under the 6000 rpm, there is difference in engine response and fuel consumption.

This is my experience riding in the italian Alps (Dolomiti mountains). Riding solo and not quickly the gas mileage is 18 km/l.

We found wet roads for some km, so the speed was quite slow (from 50 to 80 km/h using 2nd to 4th gear).

In total I made 370 km, average speed in dry tarmac about 100-110 km/h.

I can make only few quick starts in order to test the Z-bomb, but in one I reached an high speed (220 km/h) trying to beat a Vtec (not easy at all).

My 1200 has now 25000 km and the average consumption is:

- 18 km/l riding solo, average speed, temperature 15-30 °C

- 16.km/l riding solo, average speed, temperature 0-10 °C

- 16.5-17 km/l riding two, average speed, temperature 15-30 °C

- 16.0-16.5 fully loaded, some highway at 130 km/h, average speed, temperature 15-30 °C

It is quite difficult to have a fuel consumption under 15 km/l with ambient temperature above 20 °C (very important the air temperature).

With this bike it is very easy to go very fast using the engine under the 6000 rpm limit (160 km/h in 6th gear, already too much in normal road).

My old 800FI was a lot more "

thirsty"

Bazzaz and PowerCommander will lessen your mileage and increase your smile factor until the newness wears off. :tour:

Best mileage I have gotten after the PowerCommander installation is 40 mpg over an 80 mile freeway commute, and it took lots of concentration to keep the speed down. :rolleyes:

Archived