Starter button sticks, 84 VF700F

Guest Scottp

Guest Scottp

The title sums it up. I have a 1984 VF700F that I have been restoring. Everything works, but I have to pull the starter button out after it starts. Which I can do, but every now and then... I forget to, and nothing good can happen from that. I have tried all sorts or lubing, lithium grease, etc,... but it still sticks. Is that a one piece swith? I tried to figure out how to take it apart, but I don't want to force anyhting that isn't made to come apart.

Thanks, Scott

• Member Contributer

You might try some contact cleaner or WD40 - whatever lube might be in there may have gummed up over the years. Contact cleaner might clean that out as well as clean the electrical contacts. If that's not it maybe the return spring is bad - there's a set up for your bike listed on ebay now.

I split the handlebar housing, I meant the switch itself. I wanted to replace the spring. A new problem popped up, I sprayed some electrical cleaner and a bit of white lithium grease on it. After that whenever I put on the right blinker EVERY light on the bike (except the blinkers) blinked. The headlight, taillight, neutral light, everything. After a few tries, the blinking stopped, and now when I try the front comes on steady and bright and the rear stays out, both sides do the same. And all I did was spray the starter button. Maybe when the spray drains out it will be normal.... I read on another forum that often the plastic pins that the button pivots on, causing it to stick. I might just pick one up from eBay. It seems that the superceded part was used one a few different Honda bikes, so I should have some choices out there.

Scott

• 5 months later...

the rear turn signal bulbs (at least on my '85 750) are a 1057. that means they only have a positive and a ground so they should not be dim lit when the blinker is not on. the 1157 bulbs on the front are dual intensity and should be dim lit when not blinking. hope this helps.

Archived