Should I use SEAFOAM? If so, where and when?

Guest vfr750guy

Guest vfr750guy

I just bought a 1992 VFR750. It has almost 60,000 kms on it, totally stock, and in great shape.

I have heard a lot about using seafoam on after purchasing a used vehicle and periodically after that.

Is this a good idea? I've never used the stuff before. But I've also never really had to deal with caburators much.

How would you recommend using it (in oil, in gas, etc.)? and how often?

Thanks for the tips.

• Member Contributer

I throw some in the first fresh tank after it's been sitting all winter. This winter has been pretty mild and I've been able to cycle fresh gas through it fairly often but I'll still throw some in when I start riding regularly again. Other than that I only ever use it once a year or so.

-Jake

Remember it's for removing water....... So if it's been sitting a long time/ or sitting with it closer to empty than full, you should use it. Your bike can catch water from a ground tank(gas station) so how long it's been sitting is not the only way to get water.. Use it if it's running sluggish.

Not every time, but on occasion I'll put some in my oil and ride the bike about 25 miles and come home and change the oil while it's hot/warm cleans out the crap real nice....... I'd say about every 15/20k roughly.

Now http://www.marvelmysteryoil.com/ this is my favorite stuff to use for a different reason, it works by lubing the gas/oil systems, which I find helps with the effect from 10% ethanal crap that they put in the gas now. I haven't put it in my oil but I do put a ounce or two every other time or so I'm going to fill up with gas. Some call it snake oil, but I know for a fact it quieted down my Jeep with 150k on it.

Archived