Hi,

First of all i search entire forum and I didn't find answer to my question.

I notice on my 2010 VFR1200DCT that my parking brake is not doing what is supposed to do :) When I pull it, i can still move the bike. The indicator on dash is working, but there is no force on the wheels.

Can somebody tell me how to tighten it.

Is there any guide how to do this?

Appriciate all help!

:beer:

post-24132-0-62890200-1330677945.jpg

The Parking Brake lever position can be adjusted at the upper end of the parking brake cable and at the parking brake caliper adjuster bolt. Minor adjustment is made with the upper adjuster. Adjust the lever position by loosening the lock nut, and turning the adjuster. After adjustment, tighten the lock nut to the specified torque (10 N-m, 7 lbf-ft) while holding the adjuster.

If the correct freeplay cannot be gained from the upper adjuster, turn the adjuster all the way in. Make major adjustments with the parking brake caliper adjuster bolt. Minor adjuster is made with the parking brake caliper adjuster bolt. Remove the final gear cover. Loosen the lock nut. Turn the adjuster bolt clockwise until bolt resistance is felt. Then turn the adjuster bolt 1/4 turn counterclockwise and tighten the lock nut to the specified torque (17 N-m, 13 lbf-ft) while holding the adjuster bolt.

• 1 year later...

Hi there,

I'd like to elaborate a bit on pocreva's answer.:)

here are the tools you need for the whole procedure:xkx081.jpg

metric 8, 10 and 14 wrench

small flat screwdriver

long nose pliers

cutter plier

here's what I did:

1. removed the hand brake lever housing (turned out to be unnecessary step but at least I could see the tightness of the cable as I adjusted)

2. cut the cable tie that holds all the cables together

3. peel back the rubber housing about 5-6 centimeters to reveal both nuts and the adjuster (this can be a bit tedious, resist pulling with tools you gonna end up tearing the rubber)

4. loosen the nut by the handbrake housing at least 4-5 turns (size 14)

5. loosen the nut by the adjuster (size 10)

6. turn the adjuster away from the handlebar to make the handbrake tighter (away from the other nuts). size 8

7. test the handbrake.

8. repeat above steps until desired tightness achieved.

9. tighten the nut by the adjuster (size 10)

10. tighten the nut by the handbrake housing.

11. apply a bit of grease on the nuts, adjuster and cable to keep water out of rubber and the cable (you'll thank for that in a years time when you gotta do that again)

12. pull the rubber back all the way

13. use a new cable tie to tie the cables together.

See picture with all parts showing mentioned above (after rubber was peeled back):

5v9dtg.jpg

hope this helps.

Archived