what windscreen to choose?

RADU

Hi everybody,

I am looking to mount a touring windscreen for my 6th gen vfr. I am 175 cm tall, and i usually ride with a passenger 168 cm tall.

I am looking for opinions, reviews, suggestions from someone in this situation with similar height parameters.

I see there are some options : MRA variotouring screen, Zero gravity sport touring screen, GIVI screen, but I don't know wich one is best for my situation (regarding the wind flow for the rider and the passenger).

Thank you

• Member Contributer

I can't comment on the other screens but I have the vario and find it far superior to the standard screen, but I still find some buffeting at the helmet. It does have some adjustment so you can tune it to where you want to be buffeted. I am also 175cm (5'9"). I don't ride with a passenger.

I had a bike about 10 years ago that had an electric windscreen and what I found was that it all changes with speed......... I could even adjust the air flow from going over my head to hitting my shoulders , and from causing a drag, to allowing me to sit in a void with no drag.

So what I have on my VFR is a "Laminar lip"(the short one)........... which you can find in this link..... With this set-up the wind hits my face shield which is what I want because it gets rid of water and allows for air to be scooped in the helmet via the air ports and/or the cracked open visor( the draw back with that is it will collect bugs on the visor).

One of the good reasons I like it there is reduced noise......... in a lot of cases the most noise comes from air around the neck (which can also be regulated by how the bottom of the helmets line hits the wind flow , what is not good is the helmet bottom riding parallel to the ground, it should be front lower than back.........Which you can tell if looking at different makes and what the riding style helmet it is).

I'm 6' even sit up pretty straight.

If this helps, good luck.

I can't comment on the other screens but I have the vario and find it far superior to the standard screen, but I still find some buffeting at the helmet. It does have some adjustment so you can tune it to where you want to be buffeted. I am also 175cm (5'9"). I don't ride with a passenger.

how does it work at speeds around 130 km/h? That's my average cruising speed.

I had a bike about 10 years ago that had an electric windscreen and what I found was that it all changes with speed......... I could even adjust the air flow from going over my head to hitting my shoulders , and from causing a drag, to allowing me to sit in a void with no drag. So what I have on my VFR is a "Laminar lip"(the short one)........... which you can find in this link..... With this set-up the wind hits my face shield which is what I want because it gets rid of water and allows for air to be scooped in the helmet via the air ports and/or the cracked open visor( the draw back with that is it will collect bugs on the visor). One of the good reasons I like it there is reduced noise......... in a lot of cases the most noise comes from air around the neck (which can also be regulated by how the bottom of the helmets line hits the wind flow , what is not good is the helmet bottom riding parallel to the ground, it should be front lower than back.........Which you can tell if looking at different makes and what the riding style helmet it is). I'm 6' even sit up pretty straight. If this helps, good luck.

Thanks for the suggestions and the pics.I will look for a Laminar Lip, as well, but it's hard to find one in my country (not so popular model).

Archived