VTEC triples on 5th gen

SAFE-T

Question

• Member Contributer

Want to know if you have to remove/alter the steering stops from a 6th gen VTEC lower triple clamp if you use it on a 5th gen with CBR600F4/F4i forks.

I know they fit in the steering head, but searched and did not see an answer to this question.

5 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

Bolt right in and the steering stops work just like the originals

Because you've done it, right ? I see you own a 4th gen and a Volkwagen, but not a 5th gen.

• Member Contributer

Bolt right in and the steering stops work just like the originals

Because you've done it, right ? I see you own a 4th gen and a Volkwagen, but not a 5th gen.

And I have a 5th gen engine with a 6th gen frame bolted to it sitting on my garage floor as well. I helped a friend do an F4i forks/Vtec triple conversion on his(my old) 5th gen. The triple offset is the same and the steering stops are in the exact same location, the only difference is the diameter of the fork tube holes 41 vs. 43. One minor issue we ran into with his bike was that the ignition switch diameter was different, and the steering lock pin was in a different spot, I'm not sure if you'll run into that issue with yours though.

• Member Contributer

I never use the steering lock anyway. What did you do about the difference in ignition switch diameter ? My bike is a '99.

Well, we had access to a full machine shop, including a 5 axis CNC machine, so we just bored the upper triple ignition hole out a little. I don't remember what we did about the steering lock to be honest.

My old fifth gen was a salvage titled bike, and I'm pretty sure the ignition lock cylinder and upper triple had been changed at some point, that's why I'm not sure if you'll have any issues with yours.

Archived