Compatibility among Comm Systems

5thGenJim

• Member Contributer

Wrestling with what Comm system to get and I have a line on a nearly new Chatterbox XBi2 for really cheap. I've been drooling over the Scala G4's and realize that they may be way ahead on value for the dollar. But, this one is available and in my price point, so... it's got my vote.

My question: Let's suppose I get me a Chatterbox blue tooth. Can this one be paired with another brand of comm system - Scala, etc.?? Will I be able to use it for more than just answering the phone (which I don't really think I want to be doing with any regularity anyway) and listening to music?

I've looked on this forum and elsewhere and am just not seeing an answer to the question.

• Member Contributer

That's a very good question. I recently purchased the Sena SMH-10 BT kit. I've paired it with other Sena kit so riders & pillions can talk, but not had chance to try it with another make of BT kit.

• Member Contributer

That's a very good question. I recently purchased the Sena SMH-10 BT kit. I've paired it with other Sena kit so riders & pillions can talk, but not had chance to try it with another make of BT kit.

I'm going to guess that they will, but hellz if I know...

• Member Contributer

I searched the interwebs with no luck. So, I reached out to customer service at ChatterboxUSA and asked them. The answer was a disappointing, "No, different comm systems will not link together."

Ballz... :mad:

I don't know anything about comm systems, but I got a notice today from motorcycle closeouts (aka new enough) that Cardo Scala G2's and G4's are on sale if that helps in your decision making.

Bluetooth is not the way to go for comm units.

The distance is not far enough. Unless you like riding within sight of someone 100% of the time.

The Chatterbox X-1 bluetooth like this one http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/4/62/13027/ITEM/ChatterBox-GMRS-X1-Bluetooth-Communicator-Kit.aspx

Is ideal. You can connect your phone and GPS.

Your MP3 player will plug in or bluetooth.

A passenger can plug in.

The noise reduction is perfect.

It will communicate with any device which is on the same channels.

Motorola Talkabout and other Chatterboxs.

Is it Starcom or something like that which the Beemer riders all use to plug in all of their farkles. http://www.starcom1.com/

can communicat with the Chatterbox.

We have gotten 3-4 miles range between two Chatterbox users.

Once you start riding with group who use Chatterboxes or communicate, it is hard to group ride without it.

Just being able to tell the other riders there is gravel in a turn or a cop, makes it worth while.

• Member Contributer

Bluetooth is not the way to go for comm units.

The distance is not far enough. Unless you like riding within sight of someone 100% of the time.

The Chatterbox X-1 bluetooth like this one http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/4/62/13027/ITEM/ChatterBox-GMRS-X1-Bluetooth-Communicator-Kit.aspx

Is ideal. You can connect your phone and GPS.

Your MP3 player will plug in or bluetooth.

A passenger can plug in.

The noise reduction is perfect.

It will communicate with any device which is on the same channels.

Motorola Talkabout and other Chatterboxs.

Is it Starcom or something like that which the Beemer riders all use to plug in all of their farkles. http://www.starcom1.com/

can communicat with the Chatterbox.

We have gotten 3-4 miles range between two Chatterbox users.

Once you start riding with group who use Chatterboxes or communicate, it is hard to group ride without it.

Just being able to tell the other riders there is gravel in a turn or a cop, makes it worth while.

But it's so damned clunky. =)

I have impulse control problems - bought the CB xbi2 this week. Supercheap...

• 1 year later...
  • Member Contributer

So, I've had the chatterbox xbi2 for about a year and a half. Had issues early on because I didn't own a phone w/ Bluetooth 2.0 or better. Then when I finally got that straightened out, the headset microphone doesn't work. I jiggle and futz with the wire going in to the 3.5 mm plug and went in and out... Not good.

Shopping for a replacement and NOBODY has them for full face helmets. I ordered one for their DUO comm unit. Hope it works...

Archived