Soft Luggage & Exhaust Heat

thrasher

Here's what I've got ... Gen 6 w/ stock exhaust (2006 model) and a set of Cortech soft saddlebags. I haven't ridden with the bags yet. But I'm concerned about the heat of the exhaust pipes and the fact that the bags rest right on the heat sheilds.

I've done a lot of searching/reading about this topic. Most have said that with a stock exhaust the bags will be fine (although the contents of the bag will get quite warm). I've also seen some others fabricate some brackets to hold the bags away from the exhaust. While doing all this searching/reading, I came up with an idea.

I plan to get myself some adhesive-backed heat insulating material ... something similar to what you might find on the floor of a race car. I looked online and found that my local automotive store carries it in some 12"x12" pads for about $20. I'll remove the stock exhaust heat shields and apply the insulating pad to the inner side of the heat shield. Then reinstall the heat shield. My theory is that the insulating material (which can withstand temps to 1000 degrees of direct contact) will prevent 90% of the heat from getting to the heat shield to begin with. Then the heat shield should stay nice and cool and I won't have to worry about my bags.

I know that others have said the bags will be fine ... but this will make be feel better about the whole thing. And I could go with some fabricated brackets ... but when I'm not carrying bags, I like the look to be as clean as possible. So I think this will fit all my needs and I plan to try it out later this week. I will take pics of my progress to post here.

Any thoughts? Think it will work? Has anyone already tried this and can comment? Thanks.

• Member Contributer

I'm sure that with the added heat shielding and the stock heat shields your bags will be fine.

I'm also sure that without the added heat shielding and the stock heat shields your bags will be fine, but if you're worried about it, I say go ahead. Just make sure the stuff isn't flammable and doesn't touch the muffler itself.

• Member Contributer

I've never had a problem with soft bags and the exhaust shielding either on the VFR or on previous bikes. Initially I was quite concerned, however those concerns were completely unwarranted. You shouldn't need to worry about adding extra insulation.

Understand the concern, but I believe it to be unwarranted. I've put thousands of miles on my Motopaks with stock sixth gen pipes and no problem what so ever - and the Motopaks have raw neoprene backings that lay against the pipes. If you do choose to use the heat shielding, I would make sure it didn't compleetly fill the air gap under the stock heat shields. I'm assuming it's the air circulation between the shield and the pipe that allows the outside of the shield to stay relatively cool.

I have a set of Cortech's Sport soft bags, and heat has never been an issue with the stock exhaust on my '03. FWIW, I pack everything in those thin, plastic shopping bags before putting it in the Cortechs. While some heat does make its way into the luggage, the plastic has never come close to melting.

• Member Contributer

Toss the bags on and ride. I shared your concerns also but after letting the bike get hot and hitting the shields with a temp gun they never got over 125ish....and it was a 100 outside anyway.

I did melt the lower straps however, solved that with some spark plug wrapping off a race motor.

Well ... contrary to the advice given here (which is all great advice), I went and tried it out.

I removed the stock heat sheilds, and was suprised to see that there is already some heat tape applied to the inside of the shield. However, it is only heat reflective tape, and looks to be used sparingly.

gallery_22936_6077_50667.jpg

IMAG0041

I purchased this heat reflective and insulating tape at my local autoparts store (Advanced Auto) for $17. It is more than a reflective tape. It actually has a webbing on the back side of the reflective part this is an insulating material.

gallery_22936_6077_59530.jpg

IMAG0043

Here's what the sheild looks like after applying the material. I basically tried to cover the entire inside of the shield, instead of the select areas of the stock heat tape.

gallery_22936_6077_2323.jpg

IMAG0044

The results were outstanding!!! Prior to the additional insulating tape, the heat shields would get hot to the touch. I know you all have said that it isn't hot enough to damage the bags or the contents. But it was still too hot to put you hand on it for any longer than a few seconds. After applying the insulating tape, the heat on the shields is greatly reduced. I let the bike idle until the temp was close to 220 ... the shields were cool. And after a 20min ride into work this morning, the heat shields were luke-warm at best. Normally the shields were hot by this time.

Overall I can say that I'm pleased with my $17 mod that only took me 30mins to do. I feel a whole lot better about letting my bags sit on the heat shields and know that the contents probably won't get hot at all.

Archived