OEM topcase rack install question

Cogswell

• Member Contributer

After using the 6th gen OEM bags for about a year, I'm finally getting around to mounting the OEM top case rack. After searching numerous threads in the luggage forum, I have not found an answer to this question - maybe someone has seen this.

Where the top rack bolts to the subframe it has a rubberized coating on it. On the underside where it sits on top of the side bag rack, there is a "flap" of the rubber material that protrudes over the mounting location. In the photo below, it's turned upside down and I placed the spacer that goes between the side rack and the grab handle for perspective. The pointer indicates the flap of material.

DSC02741.jpg

The extra material under the pointer above sits right on top of the portion of the side rack shown by the pointer here:

DSC02739.jpg

Here is what it looks like from below with the top rack in position

DSC02735.jpg

It almost looks as though the spacer for the grab handles would fit in to the recess in the top rack if the flap of material were trimmed away, though it also looks like the flap might be what seals the rack to the rear cowl if it were mounted without the side bag rack. There is no mention in the instructions of this flap or what to do with it, though it appears that it's meant to be there if the side racks are absent, but must be trimmed away if they are installed. So would it mean you had to choose one or the other? Before I start cutting I was wondering if anyone else has run in to this when installing the top rack. Thanks for any help. Cheers

• Member Contributer

I look and didn't take any pictures last time I had the rear rack on mine. But when you bolt it down those rubber flaps should pull down over the side bag rack with no issue. It did look like it wasn't going to fit first time I installed it, but it does.

• 2 months later...

I just installed this over my oem side bags. I don't have the spacers you show there but figured that the flaps were suppose to stretch around the pannier mounts. When I tried, the flaps just ripped. Now they just sit over top of the pannier mounts and hopefully the rip won't extend up and over the grab rails.

Some instructions would be greatly appreciated with this item. Even the exploded diagrams were terrible. You have to sit all the diagrams together and try to figure out exactly what parts to use based on your configuration. It seemed that either parts in the diagram weren't included or they were there but not suppose to be used. Oh well, Now I have a bag of spare parts that I'll never use

• 8 months later...
  • Member Contributer

I'm trying to do the same thing, did some searches but still not quite clear how this should go.

Cogswell's pics show exactly my situation, so I decided to wake up this old thread.

The top rack instructions do not show install with side cases on. They came with spacers (which are shown in the diagrams), but based on:

I just installed this over my oem side bags. I don't have the spacers you show there but figured that the flaps were suppose to stretch around the pannier mounts. When I tried, the flaps just ripped. Now they just sit over top of the pannier mounts and hopefully the rip won't extend up and over the grab rails.

Some instructions would be greatly appreciated with this item. Even the exploded diagrams were terrible. You have to sit all the diagrams together and try to figure out exactly what parts to use based on your configuration. It seemed that either parts in the diagram weren't included or they were there but not suppose to be used. Oh well, Now I have a bag of spare parts that I'll never use

It looks like the spacers are designed to hold the rack above the rear fairings, and the flap might press into the fairings to give a clean look when there are not side racks present. So I think that says remove the rubber pads that sit between the grab handles and the side rack mounting plate.

I'll try to just go for it - maybe with the bottom spacers, so the flaps don't get ripped.

I'll take pics after the install - I'll need three hands to wrestle in on.

• Member Contributer

Well, that gets me started. The flap is just starting to get pinched, but hasn't ripped. But now that I see it, I think the rubber bumpers will fit and will look more finished. But not now.

The rack is rock solid (as advertised). It's a beast. Now I have to finish my Givi mounting plate.

post-20267-0-47506300-1338983119.jpg

• Member Contributer

OK, I tried restacking, starting from side rack mounting plate: old grab handle rubber bumper, long spacer, new OEM rack, bolts w/ captive washers, rubber bold covers.

Hmmm... just looked at NorthernVFRDave's post again - maybe I'm wrong, but I think it looks OK so I'll stick with it.

I had 4 small spacers (about 1/4 inch thick) left over, no clue where they would go. The instructions say to save the washers from the original install, but the supplied bolts have captive washers, no need for the old. Good thing, mine didn't have any.

post-20267-0-07231900-1339060034.jpg

IIRC there are TWO sets of spacers. The taller ones are used if you have NO sidebag rack, and the shorter ones (the 0.25") are used WITH the side racks. They are a bear to install, mainly because you have to hold all four in place as you lower the top rack subframe into place, then pry the side racks a bit to align the mounting bolts. FWIW, I've had mine on/off a few times and I'm pretty sure I have it right. The rubber bits look like the last photo, but not quite as compressed, which would make sense if you don't have the small spacers in place.

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

DDO is correct. You mist use the short spacers with the side mounts. When I installed mine I found it was easiest if I loosened the side mounts so I could adjust the top mount and secure it first.

• 7 months later...

I installed the side racks and the top rack today. I was able to install the side racks without any issues. But when trying to install the top rack, the bolts that came with the rack were short and not going through the side mount rack holes. I ended up using the bolts from the grab rail to install the top rack.

Were you guys able to install the top rack with the bolts that came with the rack?

• 1 month later...

Allow me to add a couple of questions of my own. I just bought the rack and the box a few days ago. It came with four spacers/collars that I have no idea if they go between the rack and the subframe or above it? I was also debating if I should use the grab rails or leave them out? I didn't not received bolts with the box as I bought it used.This thread is really helping a lot. Thanks.

I plan on using only the box for commuting. Planning on adding the side bags for long rides.

• 5 months later...

IIRC there are TWO sets of spacers. The taller ones are used if you have NO sidebag rack, and the shorter ones (the 0.25") are used WITH the side racks. They are a bear to install, mainly because you have to hold all four in place as you lower the top rack subframe into place, then pry the side racks a bit to align the mounting bolts. FWIW, I've had mine on/off a few times and I'm pretty sure I have it right. The rubber bits look like the last photo, but not quite as compressed, which would make sense if you don't have the small spacers in place.

Brian

Sorry to dig up an old thread but I am trying to fit an OEM top rack that came with my bike. I don't have the side racks or any spacers at all. DDO says the short spacers for use with the side racks are .25". How long are the spacers for using just the top rack.

Thanks

Nigel

• 3 years later...

Oh I keep digging. I haven't got the faintest of how I should get the top rack in place. I've found some instructions on installing the luggage racks on this site but since I don't have the bolts required I need the buy them all. Is it anyone that has the dimensions of bolts and spacers? I am sort of worried about the spacers for the top rack, plus that the rear fender is missing the fixed nut, which I suppose I can replace with a regular washer and a nut but still....

Thanks

Rickard

Archived