Need aftermarket adjustable rear shock. Suggestions?

CDNbacon

I've been riding 2UP alot lately with the gf however I don't like the feel of the bike when she' s on the bike. It feels heavy and unresponsive (relative to solo riding) so I was thinking I should change out the rear shock with something. What would y'all recommend? it would need to be adjustable so I can set it for when I'm riding solo and when she's on the bike.

Appreciate any feedback.

• Member Contributer

AFAIK all stock VFR shocks are adjustable for preload. If yours is maxed out then you need a stronger spring. You have several options. The cheapest and easiest it to buy the correct strength spring for the VFR shock. Most people find VFR shocks to be pretty lacking so they do the next best option and use a CBR 929/954 shock and fab a new upper mount. If you don't want to do this yourself, Jamie Daughtery offers a relatively inexpensive option (he'll even rebuild and respring it for you). Your other options are to buy a Penske, Elka, or Ohlins ($$$).

-Jake

AFAIK all stock VFR shocks are adjustable for preload. If yours is maxed out then you need a stronger spring. You have several options. The cheapest and easiest it to buy the correct strength spring for the VFR shock. Most people find VFR shocks to be pretty lacking so they do the next best option and use a CBR 929/954 shock and fab a new upper mount. If you don't want to do this yourself, Jamie Daughtery offers a relatively inexpensive option (he'll even rebuild and respring it for you). Your other options are to buy a Penske, Elka, or Ohlins ($$$).

-Jake

Yes they are adjustable however I was looking for something with a remote preload, I don't want to have to reach in and beat the preload on the spring everytime I want to make an adjustment.

• Member Contributer

Elka or Ohlins. I didn't see anything on Penske's web site about remote preload adjustment.

-Jake

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Wow, Hyperpro's website has totally turned to crap!

Can't find anything there, and there are no importers listed. When I bought my GP shock for my '93, they had ordering forms and serviced my order directly.

Guess I won't be buying another.

• Member Contributer

If all you want is remote preload, I'm sure you can find a used shock off of an ABS bike for cheap.

Having an 800A I can say that remote preload is super nice for riding two up.