4th Gen cutting out @ 6k

V-FORE

• Member Contributer

I just was leaving on a ride and after about 15 min as I was going to pass a car, as I twisted the throttle it was just sputtering.... so I decide to hit the highway to hit the freeway to get home. In testing she starts fine but is limited, watching the tach she runs fine up to 6-6.5rpm. So while getting off the off ramp just testing..even with no throttle downshifting as the r's went up cutting out even with no load just twisting the throttle :blink: . My first thought was fuel filter?, Plugs? She does run a little rich but from the feel of it, but it seems to be electrical. Has anyone had or heard of issues such as this? I am wondering if the coils could be suspect or maybe whatever controls the feed to the coils? I am an electronic moron :huh: My experience with electronic issues is w/ GM HEI if it doesn't work it is the coil in the cap. That is why I can always relay on my Small Block Chev Vega to never die on me :fing02: I will look at the book & start trying to trouble shoot the issue but thought I would ask those who know more than I for a little help.

Thanks

Gary

• Member Contributer

Carb? Air leak, cracked boot?? Don't quote me, I know nothing about carbs.... Fuel filter clean? Just things that came up in my mind... Good luck

C

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Situation resolved, after getting some advice from someone much wiser than myself....I decided to ck the ignition components with my multi-meter & found them to all be good, pulled the plugs they had about 8 k on them...very carbon fouled and they were a colder plug :angry: Damm who put those in..... :blink: Only myself to blame! now with new plugs & carbs synced she is back to normal :bliss:

Archived