Midland BT2-D intercom system

Guest ChickenStrips

Guest ChickenStrips

Does anyone have any experience using these devices? I've been looking for a comms solution for my wife and I when we ride 2up. From what i can gather, these things retail for anywhere from $130-$200 a piece, so when i stumbled across costco selling a pair of them for $189 online, i jumped on it. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on them since costco's return policy is so great. I'm curious if people have used them, have any gripes about them or anything. If nobody has used them, i'll get a review up once i get them all wired up.

• Member Contributer

Does anyone have any experience using these devices? I've been looking for a comms solution for my wife and I when we ride 2up. From what i can gather, these things retail for anywhere from $130-$200 a piece, so when i stumbled across costco selling a pair of them for $189 online, i jumped on it. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on them since costco's return policy is so great. I'm curious if people have used them, have any gripes about them or anything. If nobody has used them, i'll get a review up once i get them all wired up.

Go to Webbikeworld.com and check out their page on bluetooth comm systems...they have tested and rated them ad nauseum. I got the Sena setup after researching it quite a bit.

• 3 weeks later...

Been a few weeks since i received these units, and wouldn't ya figure, we've had rain of biblical proportions up in the NW ever since. I did manage to get out for a short ride last weekend and put these things to the test.

Installation was a breeze. It took about 15 minutes to get them all wired up. We have a couple of Scorpion EXO 900 modular helmets. Provided with the kit was both a boom mic for open face / modular helmets and a mic setup for a full face. I did wrestle with the speaker placements for another 20 minutes attempting to find a good location for them, but that was more of a preference issue that hardware problem.

Overall, the form factor is small and thin. Probably about the size of a pack of smokes, but half as thin. The speakers they ship with are a bit lack luster, but are still loud enough to be heard while wearing plugs. Idle battery life seemed to be around 6 hours, and i did pipe in some music from my iPod. Phone call clarity was good at around 45 MPH (apparently sounded like any other hands free kit). I cannot vouch for the range on these since the wife and I were riding 2up. VOX activation worked well. Pairing was pretty easy, and the two units actually came from the factory paired with each other.

I think for the money, this was a worthwhile investment as the wife and I do some weekend trips on the bike. I wouldn't hesitate to go out and purchase another set.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been using these for the whole of last season. Great to have the fullduplex communication ( on the BT side of it ) and to have the knowledge that it can integrate with a FRS/GMRS system for more that 3 riders. The bluetooth range is too short, but not shorter or longer than any other BT system, but you do get good warning (it starts to get quite crackly). The voice activation seems to make its own decisions sometimes, and for most applications I activate manually. I am using it for intercom (rider to rider), music (via BT to my phone) and for receiving phone calls. I don't want to start an argument here over should/should not, but I am in touch if my wife needs to get hold of me etc....

I find the volume to be fantastic. If you are using speakers, rather than isolating ear-buds, then consider wearing ear-plugs too (where legal obviously). It sounds counter intuitive, but the earplugs block the wind noise and the speakers are still readily heard.

Archived