Mounting options for Givi top case?

awacs

• Member Contributer

Wayull, it happened again. A mounting tube for my Givi top case broke. yeah, i guess I do tend to overload the thing... a wee bit. I am at work now, can't check my receipt, but looking at the Givi web stie, I'm pretty sure I have the 257FZ.

I could replace it with the same model, but that's starting to look like a time bomb. Is the Y161 a beefier option? (Granted I don't have side cases, but that's ok. Ugly, but ok :biggrin: ). Are there aftermarket options that mate with the Givi mounting plates? My mounting plate and case are fine, so I'd rather not re-invest in a whole new system.

Thanks guys - Aram

• Forum CEO

I got one of KandianKens racks that he made with the heavy gauge metal. I dont have the 5th gen anymore so its availible - PM me if your interested.

looks like this one but more robust

gallery_491_4444_304497.jpg

paintdone 009.jpg

gallery_491_661_84230.jpg

Other Side

gallery_491_661_509.jpg

pillion view seat can be easily removed with rack and bag installed

gallery_491_661_4994.jpg

Mini Givi hardbag with universal mount plate

gallery_491_661_107244.jpg

KKens 5th Gen luggage rack

• Forum CEO

that smaller one cracked so Ken made me another one with a lot thicker steel - but I only got to use it once, then removed it to put on my wing rack for the triple bag system. It was never used again.

gallery_491_661_300730.jpg

Heavy duty kken rack

gallery_491_661_235329.jpg

newer thicker steel

• Member Contributer

Are the 5th gen Givi top case racks that fragile? I'm thinking about getting one of those 257FZ racks, but hope it doesn't break with the weight of a pillion pressing against the top case as a backrest.

• Member Contributer

Are the 5th gen Givi top case racks that fragile? I'm thinking about getting one of those 257FZ racks, but hope it doesn't break with the weight of a pillion pressing against the top case as a backrest.

Evidently, yes they are. I do load mine up from time to time, moderately heavey camera gear, or a stuffed-full bag of groceries. That's about it, though. I am not very impressed. YMMV, obviously.

Aram

• 5 months later...

Evidently, yes they are. I do load mine up from time to time, moderately heavey camera gear, or a stuffed-full bag of groceries. That's about it, though. I am not very impressed. YMMV, obviously.

Aram

I will disagree with you guys on this one. I have the Givi monorack and it has worked flawlessly for the past three years. I load the crap out of it with my Givi E52 in addition to the saddlebags (Oxford Sports) and the tailbag all of which is strapped to that monorack. With that being said, I have managed either over-torque or stress crack the frankenbolts (or combos of both) which caused cracks in the rear cowl near frakenholes. Easy repair with dremel and fiberglass. That was two years ago and my rear cowl is still holding up well. Just thought I would chime in with a positive experience from my Givi setup. :fing02:

Archived