Replacing upper fork tube on right fork

jaimev34

For what it's worth, I did a G2R gold valve install on a 5th gen recently, and RT's documents called for a 100mm oil height.

I would think(or at least hope) that they have some record of your work on file, with notes on how they set it up. Try giving them a call and see how it goes. If that fails, you can take the other fork apart and get a pretty good idea of what height they used.

edit: oil height is measured with the fork assembled, minus fork cap/spacer/washers/spring. Tube should be pushed down into slider before measuring from top of tube to oil level with fork standing vertical.

• Member Contributer

For what it's worth, I did a G2R gold valve install on a 5th gen recently, and RT's documents called for a 100mm oil height.

I would think(or at least hope) that they have some record of your work on file, with notes on how they set it up. Try giving them a call and see how it goes. If that fails, you can take the other fork apart and get a pretty good idea of what height they used.

edit: oil height is measured with the fork assembled, minus fork cap/spacer/washers/spring. Tube should be pushed down into slider before measuring from top of tube to oil level with fork standing vertical.

Thanks, Seb. Yep, since I'm changing the oil in the left fork too, I was just thinking I'd measure the oil level in that fork and put that amount in both.

• Member Contributer

Just received a reply from Racetech. They say oil level should be 120mm below top of fork tube. I'll compare to other fork's level.

On a side note: In my experience, Racetech's customer service has always been very good. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Spent the last hour trying to drive the oil seal, washer, and bushings into the fork slider using a 1 and 1/4" PVC pipe "t" cut lengthwise and a hammer wrapped in a shop towel. The PVC driver fits well but for some reason the seal and bushings won't go in far enough to install the lock ring. I tapped for about half an hour and still need about 1/4 to 1/2 inch to go. It seems that the slider bushing is causing the problems by not going far enough, but I'm not sure. To test the slider bushing, I took everything out and tried to insert the slider bushing by itself within the fork slider but it wouldn't go very far before getting stuck. I didn't try to get it in too far because it'd be really difficult and potentially damaging to get it out. Anyone have a similar situation?

Spent the last hour trying to drive the oil seal, washer, and bushings into the fork slider using a 1 and 1/4" PVC pipe "t" cut lengthwise and a hammer wrapped in a shop towel. The PVC driver fits well but for some reason the seal and bushings won't go in far enough to install the lock ring. I tapped for about half an hour and still need about 1/4 to 1/2 inch to go. It seems that the slider bushing is causing the problems by not going far enough, but I'm not sure. To test the slider bushing, I took everything out and tried to insert the slider bushing by itself within the fork slider but it wouldn't go very far before getting stuck. I didn't try to get it in too far because it'd be really difficult and potentially damaging to get it out. Anyone have a similar situation?

Replied to your PM - the slider bushing needs to get hammered in so that it's flush with the area that the seal sits on.

Archived