stator test question

superfuzz

• Member Contributer

I'm trying to clarify the procedure for testing the stator with the bike running and the R/R unplugged. Do I check each of the three yellow wires against ground or against each other like I did when testing the resistance between the wires? Either way, what is the voltage I should expect from a healthy stator. Thanks.

• Member Contributer

Yes you measure each yellow lead with a voltometer set to measure AC current and then ground to the frame. I'm not sure of the exact amount of voltage but I would guess it is somewhere in the 20-60 volt AC range under load. You should also check for continuity between each of the leads, and between the leads and ground. There should be NO continuity between each yellow wire and ground. There SHOULD be continuity from each yellow wire to each of the other yellow wires. Test should be repeated after the bike has been given a chance to warm up since most faulty electrical components typically occur when the components get hot.

Rollin

• Member Contributer

Yes you measure each yellow lead with a voltometer set to measure AC current and then ground to the frame.

Whoa - that's not right!

Testing of the stator with the bike running goes like this:

- Disconnect the stator wiring block

- Start the bike

- Set your multimeter to AC voltage mode (it will usually go up to 750 volts - pick one that at least does 200)

- Connect your multimeter probes between each of the three wires from the stator, like so:

1-2

1-3

2-3

Each reading should be the same. All the book says is something like 64 volts at 5,000 rpm. What's most important is that the voltage reading in each test is the same. That is, you're wanting each of the three AC phases to be putting out the same voltage.

My bike had a fried stator - it was putting out something like 18 volts on one phase, 21 volts on another, and zero volts on the last one. That was at idle, too. The result was zero charging.

Archived